TOPIC:

RMS Umbria - A family mystery 9 years 2 months ago #25437

• saiper
  • saiper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi.

This might be a long shot, but I greatly appreciate any assistance provided. In 1915, a distant relative of mine found a French bible lying on the pavement in the town of Queensbury (UK). They made some brief annotations in it, describing when it was found and where, together with some dates relating to family members (Picture B2). The bible has been in my family since then, but only recently passed into my hands following the death of my grandmother.

I have always had a fascination with history, and was intrigued by the book and the mystery behind how it came to be found abandoned on the pavement of a desolate town in West Yorkshire. Thankfully, the bible also contains numerous writings from its original owner. And that is what I’m hoping will lead me to unravelling the mystery.

On the first page of the bible (B1), the original owner mentions that he travelled to East London on the SS Humbria. However, from the information gathered with the aid of the National Maritime museum, together with my own research, I have deduced that the owner of the bible travelled to East London in South Africa on the HMS Umbria, not Humbria as incorrectly written. When researching details about this particular vessel here -

www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=umbri

It seems that it did make a couple of trips around mid-January 1900, which would tie up with the note on the front page - "Landed February 3rd 1900". Taking all that into account, I'm assuming he must have been one of the troops sent over to fight during the Boer War. But...that's where my research hits a brick wall.
Ideally, I would like to find a passenger list or even an indication as to which battalions travelled over at that time. I realise that identifying whoever owned the bible is likely an impossibility, but if I could narrow it down to a regiment / battalion or anything like that, it would be superb and go a long way in me being able to piece this story together.

If anyone has any knowledge of the RMS Umbria and its travels during the Boer war, the crew, its passengers, why he was carrying a French bible or anything in-between, I would love to hear from you. I have included some links to photographs of the pages in the bible.

saiper.deviantart.com/art/B1-514464559

saiper.deviantart.com/art/B2-514464571

saiper.deviantart.com/art/B3-514464586

saiper.deviantart.com/art/B4-514464597

Any information is greatly appreciated:)

Cheers
James.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RMS Umbria - A family mystery 9 years 2 months ago #25441

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
James

I think you do indeed have an impossible task in identifying the original owner of the bible. There is a chance of limiting the units that he might have served in by following his progress recorded on the first page from the Eastern Cape, through the Orange Free State, to the Transvaal (EL, Queenstown, Bethulie Bridge ..... Johannesburg). The units that disembarked in East London on that day may have followed different routes after they arrived at the OFS border.

Good luck with your search. It is a most intriguing one.

Regards
Brett

RMS Umbria - A family mystery 9 years 2 months ago #25442

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi James

Dundee Evening Post - Tuesday 30 January 1900

"The Admiralty further report that the Umbria, with the Warwickshire, Derbyshire, and Durham Militia, arrived at Cape Town last evening: also the Briton with volunteers. "

Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough - Friday 12 January 1900

"The first militia battalion to leave for South Africa was the 3rd Durham Light Infantry, who were also the first to volunteer for active service. The battalion left yesterday in two portions, these moving for embarkation with three other battalions forming the first contingent of the militia force for the front. The first portion, numbering 380, was under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel R. B. Wilson, while the second half-battalion, under the command of Major Grimshawe, and totalling 430 of all ranks, departed an hour and a half later, and joined the first portion at Southampton, embarking on the transport Umbria."

" There were among the ranks about 50 of the 4th Battalion."

Regards

Adrian

RMS Umbria - A family mystery 9 years 1 month ago #25661

• saiper
  • saiper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the information. It's been very helpful:) I actually live in County Durham, so the possibility of it once being owned by a member of the Durham Militia is intriguing.

James.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds