Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 8 years 10 months ago #40894

• Sluggie
  • Sluggie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I am wondering if any of you can help me with regard to finding information on my Great Great grandfather.

I believe that he served and died of wounds/disease in South Africa during the Boer war. There is a memorial listing his name both in Shrewsbury and in Cork, where I believe he was from.

He was definitely dead before April 1901 as this is the year of the census in Ireland and his wife is listed as a widow living in Cork with her children. His daughter in 1911, attended the Drummond Institute in Dublin which was a boarding school for children of British soldiers who died in service.

I have no other information with regard to his full name, though I suspect Arthur as his son shared that name.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me on my quest for information.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 8 years 10 months ago #40895

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi
2397 Pte A Morris Shropshire LI was severely wounded on 1 May1900 at Jacobsrust and died of wounds on 19 May 1900. He may be buried at Thaba Nchu. The Regiment had 16 casualties in this action (also better known as Thoba Mountain). The majority of them were wounded
Henk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sluggie

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 8 years 10 months ago #40896

• Sluggie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Henk,

That certainly sounds like the right man. Thank you so much for your quick response.

If you or anyone else has info on whether the Shropshire LI were ever posted to Victoria Barracks, Cork in and around 1890, I would be obliged if you could tell me.

I don't know if A. Morris was a Shropshire boy posted to Ireland or an Irish lad who joined an English regiment.

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 8 years 10 months ago #40900

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Interestingly, WO100/194 gives his number as 2497, but, confirms his clasps and his date of death.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sluggie

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 8 years 10 months ago #40901

• Sluggie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank,

What medals was he issued for his service? None of these remain in the possession of the family.

Many Thanks.

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 8 years 10 months ago #40902

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would think it was just the single QSA, it was actually quite difficult to pick up a medal back then, although, in his case, he could never have worn it himself of course, there is nothing to suggest it was not issued to his next of kin.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.402 seconds