Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 7 years 11 months ago #46164

• Sluggie
  • Sluggie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/141...hire-light-infantry/

Is anyone able to access this as it relates to my Great Great Grandfather. I would like especially to see what it says about nationality.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 7 years 11 months ago #46172

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448

Sluggie wrote: www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/141...hire-light-infantry/

Is anyone able to access this as it relates to my Great Great Grandfather. I would like especially to see what it says about nationality.

In my experience with FWR's Anglo-Boer War records, whatever it says for Nationality will be a huge uneducated guess, and given that no papers survive for this man I cannot see how they would know his nationality in the first place. It is a silly piece of information they offer as nationality is subjective, especially with folk born in Ireland pre-1922 (independence) - are they Irish or British? A prickly question even today.

The fact his name is on a war memorial in Cork just means he has an association there - lived, married a Cork lady or perhaps his favourite Aunt who lived in Cork persuaded the authorities to put his name on the memorial.

I don't know what you know about him but he had a widow Annie who received monies owed to him by the War Office - see Soldier's Effects on Ancestry.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sluggie

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 7 years 11 months ago #46173

• Sluggie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for that. Yes, Alfred Morris married an Annie Hurley. Good to know she got what was owed. Annie was born in Cork, as per the 1901 census and they were living together as far back as 1893 and perhaps sooner in Barracks accommodation near Victoria Barracks, now Collins Barracks Cork. Interestingly he names his unit as the 85th regiment which I believe later formed part of the KSLI.

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 7 years 11 months ago #46176

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
There you go, I reckon he got on the Cork memorial though his marriage and the fact he lived in Cork for a period of time.

The 85th Foot was amalgamated with the 53rd Foot in 1881 to form the KSLI - the 53rd being nominated the 1st bn and the 85th the 2nd bn. Morris served in the 2nd bn.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 7 years 11 months ago #46214

• Sluggie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Would anyone know where I could find date and place of birth records? Do enlistment papers bearing this info still survive?
Also, could anyone let me know what Clasps he was entitled to? Thank you all very much.

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 7 years 6 months ago #48559

• Sluggie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
So further research has allowed me to uncover that Alfred Morris was born circa 1871 and was the son of a tailor called William Morris.

Still have no idea where he was born but I strongly suspect in Shropshire now rather than Cork.

He married in Cork in 1892 aged 21 to an Annie Hurley and was resident in Cork barracks.

Is there any way of finding his enlistment papers online to determine a precise date and location of birth?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds