Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Identification Data on British & S.A. Medals....... 8 years 2 weeks ago #45701

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
The "Alexander" Mounted Rangers was certainly new to me, whosoever has tried to transcribe Geoffrey Tylden's well known "The Armed Forces of South Africa 1659-1954" appears to have made a good number of errors.
I agree with Meurig, false, misleading and inaccurate information should not be written on here.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Mike
I also agree.

There is one small point ..... In the case of the Alexandra Mounted Rifles the period of its existence should be 1865 - 88, not 1865-99.

It would be wrong to complicate the list, but the lineages of some South African regiments were complex. The Alexandria Mounted Rifles link to the Natal Mounted Rifles is a case in point. The AMR name ceased to exist after 1888, but the AMR recruiting area fell under the NMR for only a short time (1888 - 1894), after which the men served in the Border Mounted Rifles (1894 - 1913). Finally in 1913, under the new Union Government. the BMR and NMR became the 3rd Mounted Rifles, which later reverted to the NMR name.

Regards
Brett

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Identification Data on British & S.A. Medals....... 8 years 2 weeks ago #45703

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hi Frank......

As you can see by my previous post I will be dropping the project and I agree fully with both Meurig and yourself......

Mike

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Brett,
The "Alexander" Mounted Rangers was certainly new to me, whosoever has tried to transcribe Geoffrey Tylden's well known "The Armed Forces of South Africa 1659-1954" appears to have made a good number of errors.
I agree with Meurig, false, misleading and inaccurate information should not be written on here.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Mike
I also agree.

There is one small point ..... In the case of the Alexandra Mounted Rifles the period of its existence should be 1865 - 88, not 1865-99.

It would be wrong to complicate the list, but the lineages of some South African regiments were complex. The Alexandria Mounted Rifles link to the Natal Mounted Rifles is a case in point. The AMR name ceased to exist after 1888, but the AMR recruiting area fell under the NMR for only a short time (1888 - 1894), after which the men served in the Border Mounted Rifles (1894 - 1913). Finally in 1913, under the new Union Government. the BMR and NMR became the 3rd Mounted Rifles, which later reverted to the NMR name.

Regards
Brett

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Identification Data on British & S.A. Medals....... 8 years 2 weeks ago #45718

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
Quite frankly, if all you what is the information, if I were you, I would simply buy a copy of Geoffrey Tylden's famous book, but, once you start coping it, word for word, there is the copyright issue, but, only a small portion of his work has any Anglo Boer War relevance anyway.
Regards Frank

Identification Data on British & S.A. Medals....... 8 years 1 week ago #45722

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Frank......

This booklet covers not only South Africa but all of the Commonwealth / Empire..... I have gone through the Canadian section and with the exception of a few minor errors is OK....... I will see about getting a copy of the Tylden book......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Identification Data on British & S.A. Medals....... 8 years 1 week ago #45723

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Mike
I hope that you are able to find a copy of Tylden's book. Make sure that the one being offered has the three "Addenda and Corrigenda" that were added to a later printing (or printings). This is one instance where do not want a 'First Edition'! I made this mistake when I first started to acquire books on the military.
Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.525 seconds