Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

10883 J A BARKHAM 7 years 3 days ago #52783

• 8thhussars
  • 8thhussars's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3

LinneyI wrote: David
Your man Barkham had an interesting time in S.A. He earned the clasp "Modder River" with 62nd Bty., RFA and the other two clasps ("Paardeberg" and "Johannesburg") with Staff, 3Rd Bde, RFA. 62nd Battery RFA had a celebrated role during the Modder River battle. That battery arrived in position after a 25 mile march (and having four horses fallen dead on the way) in time to come into action about 900y from the Boer rifles and managed to silence Boer artillery before undertaking other battlefield duties. There is a quite good drawing of the 62nd RFA coming into action under fire at Modder River in "With The Flag to Pretoria" Vol.1. If you have a special interest in 62RFA, I can post the illustration.
My interest in 62nd RFA stems from having a long service group to a man from that Battery in my current collection.
Regards
IL
Thank you very much for the information I will look in the book as I have the 3 volumes so my thanks again as without your help I would not of known. I have his long service group too and many original documents and I'm happy to be the custodIan.
Regards David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10883 J A BARKHAM 7 years 3 days ago #52784

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Interestingly, James Barkham had served with the 62nd since joining the Army in 1895, his appointment and two promotions followed until he was promoted a third time and posted to the 3rd Brigade Divisional Staff on the 11th of July 1900.
A most interesting fellow and a very unpromising start for a young clerk and Militiaman, who had initially been rejected seemingly because he was not up to the physical standard required.

LinneyI wrote: David
Your man Barkham had an interesting time in S.A. He earned the clasp "Modder River" with 62nd Bty., RFA and the other two clasps ("Paardeberg" and "Johannesburg") with Staff, 3Rd Bde, RFA. 62nd Battery RFA had a celebrated role during the Modder River battle. That battery arrived in position after a 25 mile march (and having four horses fallen dead on the way) in time to come into action about 900y from the Boer rifles and managed to silence Boer artillery before undertaking other battlefield duties. There is a quite good drawing of the 62nd RFA coming into action under fire at Modder River in "With The Flag to Pretoria" Vol.1. If you have a special interest in 62RFA, I can post the illustration.
My interest in 62nd RFA stems from having a long service group to a man from that Battery in my current collection.
Regards
IL.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 8thhussars

10883 J A BARKHAM 7 years 2 days ago #52788

• 8thhussars
Hello
Thank you to all for the information and comments it has been very much appreciated.
Today I have learned he has 4 clasp entitlement according to the record could anyone help please?
Regards David

10883 J A BARKHAM 7 years 2 days ago #52790

• Frank Kelley
WO100/142 does show, very clearly, four clasps, to include, Dreifontein, WO100/137 suggests the medal and only three clasps were actually issued, moreover, WO363 suggests only three clasps and certainly does not confirm the Dreifontein clasp.
His KSA and clasps are clearly verified in WO363 and WO100/308
Can you show clear photographs of his QSA to include the side of the clasps and the face of the same?

8thhussars wrote: Hello
Thank you to all for the information and comments it has been very much appreciated.
Today I have learned he has 4 clasp entitlement according to the record could anyone help please?
Regards David

10883 J A BARKHAM 7 years 2 days ago #52792

• 8thhussars
Hello
Pictures as requested thank you, please note it was not me who cleaned them.
Regards David

10883 J A BARKHAM 7 years 2 days ago #52793

• Frank Kelley
Okay, that's fine and appears as issued.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 8thhussars

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.439 seconds