Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps 9 years 4 months ago #23370

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
I have been looking into the brief history of the NVAC and the subject has turned out to be a little more interesting than expected. The NVAC bearers were apparently most unmilitary in their dress, and perhaps even in person - a motley crew, in fact. In the book, 'The Relief of Ladysmith' by John Black Atkins (1900), they are described as an "oddly assorted body of men", wearing an assortment of clothes, including "canvas shoes", "yawning boots and clothes that must have seen service in the streets of a town".

The NVAC's arrival on active service was relatively late - mid-December 1899 - and their recruitment must also have taken place relatively late. By that time, the able-bodied male population of the Colony of Natal must have been severely depleted. The only full-time para-military corps in Natal, the Natal Police, was enlisting new recruits. The Volunteer Regiments had been mobilised, both mounted (e.g. Natal Carbineers, Natal Mounted Rifles), and infantry (e.g. Durban Light Infantry). Irregular regiments had been raised, recruiting Colonists and new arrivals to the Colony alike. The new regiments were also both mounted (e.g. Imperial Light Horse, Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry), and infantry (Imperial Light Infantry). Lastly, many civilians had commitments to Town Guards and District Rifle Associations.

It occurred to me that an untapped pool of able-bodied men might have existed amongst conscientious objectors, who would have avoided regular military service, but who would have been ideal recruits for an ambulance corps. While there is plenty written about the link between conscientious objectors and stretcher-bearing in 20th Century wars, it may not yet have been a common practice in the 19th Century. Also, Natal's population of Quakers, 7th-Day Adventists, and the like, must have been small or even non-existent.

I would be very grateful for any information and opinions on this matter.

Brett

PS The situation with Gandhi's Indian Bearer Corps was very different to that of the NVAC. These men were far fewer in number and were certainly not the 'last resort' amongst a large number possible recruits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: absentminded beggar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps 9 years 4 months ago #23372

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Brett
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the NVAC was unofficially referred to as "The Bodysnatchers". In my old collection was a rather battered QSA with clasps TV/TH/RofL and named to 1025 Tpr. E.A.Edwards Imp. Lt. Horse. I got pretty excited about it and the small numbers of ILH in the Relief; until I had some research done on it and the TH/RofL clasps were earned in the NVAC. Notes I made at the time were "Vol.6 of the Times History says that the NVAC were raised from refugees in Natal; it was a paid corps with an original strength of 1200 to as many as 1800. Four Coys were formed, one from each Brigade. The Coys. were divided into Sections of 25 with an elected leader".
Medals to the NVAC should not be that uncommon, given the size of the unit. I have not heard of the term Conscientious Objectors being used in the ABW.
Best Regards
IL.

Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps 9 years 4 months ago #23373

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Brett
There is a bit more on NVAC in Packenham pages 224 (where he describes the NVAC as those who had failed to find places in the iregular corps) and 343.
Regards
IL.

Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps 9 years 4 months ago #23374

• Wombat
  • Thank you received: 15
Brett, This is one I have you may find interesting.

Q.S.A. & W.W.I. PAIR.
5 Bars:- T.H. O.F.S. R.oL. TVL. S.A.01.
LEADER ROBERT NEWBY FRASER. IMP HOSPITAL CORPS.

Robert Newby Fraser began his military career with the Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps. And it was with this unit that he earned the first two of five bars on his Q.S.A. medal, Tugela Heights, and Relief of Ladysmith.
When the Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps were disbanded in March 1900 he joined the Imperial Hospital Corps, where he obtained the rank of Leader. A notation on his papers confirms that he was attached to the Scottish Horse.
His military service seems to have come to an end in 1901, when he returned to his Occupation as an Accountant in Johannesburg. I can find nothing in his papers to account for this.
On the 6th December 1915, he again enlisted for service as a Pte. With the 7th S.A. Inf. (Medical Section). He was promoted to L/Cpl. and in March 1916 carried the official title of Medical Officer Orderly. He served 2 years 3 months with the 7th S.A. Inf. where he is recorded as having health problems.
After a period of certified sick leave, he returned to his unit at Potchefstroom, only to go absent without leave on two separate occasions, (4 day’s) ands (3 day’s) forfeiting his chance of further promotion.
Robert Newby Fraser was eventually discharged at Robert’s Heights on 26th March 1918. Eight months before the end of the war. His record at discharge states, “Permanently un fit for Tropical Service”. “Temporarily un fit for non Tropical Service”.
Q.S.A.: LEADER R.N. FRASER. IMP. HOSP. CORPS.
W.W.1. PAIR: L/Cpl. R. NEWBY- FRASER 7th S.A.I.

NATAL VOLUNTEER AMBULANCE CORPS.

The N.V.A.C. was formed by Colonel Gallwey P.M.O. Pietermaritzburg. Where 2000 Volunteers were taken from all social classes. “Gentlemen”, Lawyers, and Chemists, to Labourers, Miners, and Dock Loafers. Many put out of work by the war, or refugees from Transvaal. Their duties would be to retrieve wounded off the field, Transport serious cases from advanced Hospitals and Dressing Stations, and transport cases from the Stationary Field Hospital to the railway. No official uniform was issued and in all they were wild and shabby looking, disorderly, unsymmetrical, and quite bizarre unit, who’s work in the field earned them the nick name of “The Body Snatchers”, which was given to them by the soldiers.
Under the command of Major Wright, the unsuitable and undesirables were gradually weeded out and the Corps began to improve, saving many lives and an infinite amount of pain. They earned the reputation of going wherever they were needed; often sustaining casualties amongst themselves, some even losing their lives. The Corps were now wearing some remnants of uniform. Khaki tunics had been supplied, along with “some” trousers. It was common to see a gaiter on one leg and a puttie on the other, and there was still a large variety of hats on show, from the Bowler hat, to the Tam-o-shanter, the Slouch hat to a hat of their own creation. All their possessions were carried hanging about their bodies on straps or pieces of string, the most valuable being their water bottle, which could be military style, that had been found, or just a simple glass bottle slung around the waist. Between them they carried all they needed. One man with a bungle of firewood dangling, another with a saucepan, a third with a kettle, and so on.
There is one story told by Frederick Treves, Surgeon, No. 4 Stationery Field Hospital. Who recalls how on the 8th February 1900 one hundred and fifty seriously ill cases were carried on stretchers, by hand, from Spearman’s to Frere. This trek was undertaken by the much underestimated “Corps of Body Snatchers”. Who covered a distance of 25 miles on non existent roads, in the blazing South African heat and dust.
With 12 men to each stretcher, a total of 1,800 men were required. They began their journey at sunrise and accomplished the distance in only one day arriving at sunset that same day. Out of the 150 cases transported that day, only one life was lost. Considering every one of these cases was so seriously ill it was not advisable to transport them by any other means, such as Ox Wagon or Ambulance, due to the conditions of the road, this was a spectacular feat carried out by a very odd looking bunch.

The N.V.A.C. was disbanded in March 1900. Just one month after this incredible trek.

IMPERIAL HOSPITAL CORPS.

The I.H.C. was raised early in 1900 to help fill the demand being made on the R.A.M.C. Who were unable to supply enough men to staff the variety of medical facilities operating during the Boer War, from Ambulance Trains and transports, to Field Hospitals and the much larger General Hospitals, their services were needed everywhere.
Like most of this type of unit that had been formed from volunteers, the I.H.C. was manned by all types from all countries, and is aptly referred to as a “Cosmopolitan Corps” in an excellent article written about the Imperial Hospital Corps, by Stephen Durant.
The unit had no military rank structure as such, but volunteers were divided into Section Leaders and Orderlies. Each Section Leader would be responsible for seven Leaders, who would then each be responsible for twenty five Orderlies. Even with this attempt at order and discipline many were dismissed from the unit for drunkenness and misconduct.
The duties of an I.H.C. volunteer were much the same as those of the N.V.A.C. They were required to assist the qualified Medical Staff, and carry out all other menial tasks. These volunteers also served aboard the Hospital Ships as Ward Orderlies and Attendants, but unfortunately the Hospital Ship Rolls do not indicate those men who were attached to the I.H.C.
Many I.H.C. Volunteers served with more than one unit, Just like Leader Robert Newby Fraser did, and so were entitled to clasps other than those earned with the H.I.C. Like T.H. and R.o L. earned with the N.V.A.C.

Medals issued to this unit were named impressed lettering:
IMP. HOSP. CORP. Or less commonly, IMP. HOSP. C.
The Q.S.A. issued to Robert Newby Fraser is named as shown in the first example.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: absentminded beggar

Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps 9 years 4 months ago #23376

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Here is the member in my collection......

PHILLIPS, J. B. (Joseph B.)

REG. NO.: NO REGIMENTAL NUMBER

REGT: NATAL VOLUNTEER AMBULANCE CORPS
BARS: TUGELA HEIGHTS, RELIEF OF LADYSMITH, TRANSVAAL, LAING'S NEK

REMARKS / HISTORY:

1. ENLISTED 18-12-99 and discharged 12-03-1900 (unit disbandment date).
2. Laing's Nek and Transvaal clasps EARNED with the Imperial Bearer Corps.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps 9 years 4 months ago #23381

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
Ian

I think you have the answer! Many thanks! I had not thought of the pool of refugees in Natal as being the possible source of NVAC recruits, but they were in fact the obvious one. The most talented of the refugees (i.e. those who could ride and shoot straight) were snapped up by the mounted irregular regiments (e.g. Imperial Light Horse), while the non-riders, but still with other talents, found a place in the Imperial Light Infantry. The 'motley crew' that remained found a place in the NVAC, the main requirement being that they were fit and strong. It is relief to be able to discount conscientious objection as the requirement for service in the NVAC.

Wombat

Thank you for your excellent and informative response. I have hitherto not paid any attention to the Imperial Hospital Corps, but I will do so now. Also, the Imperial Bearer Corps that Mike mentions.

Mike

Thank you for your addition to this thread. Although the NVAC was large, it is my impression that QSA's named to them are not common, probably because many, or even most NVAC Bearers moved on to other units and had their QSA's named to them.

When it comes to the ABW, it seems that there is always something else that needs further study.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds