Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'Thou shalt not kill' taunt; Essex and Bedfordshire Regiments 9 years 2 months ago #25040

• Steve Fuller
  • Steve Fuller's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all

I wondered if anyone has come across anything original / written as to the details surrounding the event that was reputed to lead to Essex Regiment soldiers calling 'Thou shalt not kill' to any Bedfordshire Regiment soldiers.

I am familiar with Percy Croney's book, Richard Holmes referring to Percy Croney's book as a source for the taunt, but never seem to see anything closer to the event, let alone where and when it happened?

Has anyone come across anything firm?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'Thou shalt not kill' taunt; Essex and Bedfordshire Regiments 9 years 2 months ago #25043

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
The Peacemakers - Bedfordshire Regiment The regiment had no battle honours until 1882, when it was belatedly given those for the War of the Spanish Succession 170 years earlier; the regimental motto was misquoted as 'Thou Shalt not Kill' Wikipaedia
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

'Thou shalt not kill' taunt; Essex and Bedfordshire Regiments 9 years 2 months ago #25044

• Steve Fuller
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks David - I was involved in the debate that resulted in that being added to Wiki, but was hoping for something a little closer to the source. All I have seen so far is verbal recollections / anecdotal 'evidence' passed down and therefore pretty subjective!

I believe that I have a pretty good take on how the story / nicknames developed over time (along with the various versions that spring up over the years!) but am trying not to 'lead' the answers as I was hoping something more tangible would come up!

'Thou shalt not kill' taunt; Essex and Bedfordshire Regiments 9 years 2 months ago #25046

• MK TNR
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Steve

The only other source I'm aware of is Graves in Goodbye to all that who states his regiment (Royal Welch Fusiliers) used to misquote the Bedfords motto as Thou shalt not kill but you're probably aware of that one.

Mark
6229 Cpl Arthur Frederick Aldridge Bedfordshire Regiment (later Lieutenant Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regt)

7361 Pte Thomas Charles Aldridge Grenadier Guards (served in RAMC & Labour Corps during the Great War)

'Thou shalt not kill' taunt; Essex and Bedfordshire Regiments 9 years 2 months ago #25055

• Steve Fuller
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Mark - yes, Graves' reference is familiar to me. Am hoping that Ian Hook of the museum will know ...

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.663 seconds