Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Aldershot medal fair this sunday anyone? 7 years 4 months ago #49542

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Frank - I appreciate your reply. I suggest you are correct. My relationship to the QSA Field was from 1963 to about 1990 when I disposed of nearly all my Collection as I was unable to add much of significance thereto. At John Haywards suggestion in 1973 I began to follow the 1882 EGYPT Series. That I still continue to this day. I only was reawakened to the QSA within the past six months. I again find it fascinating what with all the information available on line, etc. like the FORUM. I suppose I tend to think in terms of the old days when at Spinks the lowly QSAs were brought out on wire loops, 20to the loop. That's my bad and creaky old mind.
Thoughtfully I will back down from my comments.
Baden Powell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Aldershot medal fair this sunday anyone? 7 years 4 months ago #49546

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, I think they had been too cheap for too long, although, the prices being sought these days are excessive, but, it is important to bare in mind that the "top drawer" is being very much driven, the Anglo Boer War is still at the lower end of the market and the QSA in itself is a very common medal, 1963 is before my time, but, in 1990, they could be had for very little, happy days indeed.

Aldershot medal fair this sunday anyone? 7 years 4 months ago #49548

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Any new QSAs?

I'm with BP on prices for the medals illustrated, you need to shop around before buying from those dealers.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Aldershot medal fair this sunday anyone? 7 years 4 months ago #49549

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Thanks SWB, back to my original post I meant 1953, not 1963 when I started. Yes I was referring to the tags in the photos, not what you get by personal contact from people you know and know you. BP

Aldershot medal fair this sunday anyone? 7 years 4 months ago #49552

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Some of the prices for the more usual Boer War items were high (IMO). The DoK/Kimberley Star was a case in point.

There were lots of QSAs on offer. Andrew Bostock was saying he had just sold a RoM to the SAC, the only one issued to the SAC he said.
Dr David Biggins

Aldershot medal fair this sunday anyone? 7 years 4 months ago #49554

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
£875 for a member of the Kimberley TG is rather over the top, unless, the recipient was somehow "special" it does not seem so long ago when a QSA could be bought with considerable ease for £100, there were just so many to be had, of course, in some respects, on the one hand, a collector might wish he had bought more at the time, on the other, if he had, he would still have really quite common medals, quite frankly, Elandslaagte makes for a much better buy, in my opinion.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.870 seconds