Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

DNW auction 25- 26 Jun 14 9 years 9 months ago #21089

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
So, I asked the people at the museum to check the details and they sent me this:

I have doubled checked the book written by A.H.C. Kearsey and it does state that 3016 Pte. J.H. Jacques was wounded on the 22nd January 1900, I have also cross referenced this with the Regimental Journals (The Tiger & Rose Journals) and the 1st issue for 1900 - April (they were published quarterly at this time) on page 15 confirms that he was wounded on January 22nd 1900.

Also I have re-read the Regimental Histories by Col. H.C. Wyyly; The War Record of the York and Lancaster Regiment (1st Battalion) 1900 -1902 by A.H.C. Kearsey and the Tiger and Rose Journal and they all state that the battalion was involved in assisting the defence of Spion Kop.

The Histories (Wylly Vol. 1, page 139) quote:

“East of Bastion Hill, on General Hart’s left and front, ran a stretch of crest line which had not so far been occupied and Hart was on the 21st ordered to make this good; two battalions of the 5th Brigade were accordingly sent round the head of a long donga which ran down from the so-called Long Kopje, while a third battalion from the same brigade and the 1st York and Lancaster crossed the donga lower down, and the point was gained but with slight opposition. The Battalion held on here all day under a heavy and continuous enemy fire but experienced no casualties, being covered by the exceeding steepness of the slope of the hill. Two battalions of the 11th Brigade were engaged in the very severe fighting on Spion Kop, suffering grievous losses; but the 1st York and Lancaster remained during those days in the position occupied by it on the 21st [January], having Lieutenant Halford and eight men wounded on the 22nd [one being Pte Jacques] and Captain J.S. Armstrong and eight more on the following day, the Battalion doing its best to assist in the defence of Spion Kop by maintaining a heavy fire on the enemy’s right.”

So, it looks like the 1st Yorks and Lancs did support the action at Spion Kop and that 3016 J H Jacques was injured on the 22nd January, according to the journal.

Can I ask where the first information would be sourced, as in the NFF Casualty List, assuming from the various reports? I know that some could be missing but how come this is obviously wrong?

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DNW auction 25- 26 Jun 14 9 years 8 months ago #21370

• Doug
All sorted now, thank goodness. It does make you wonder how the details get so wrong when they are so clear. I was lucky enough to find his service records and as attached, it clearly states that he was wounded on the 22nd January 1900 at Acton Homes. The museum was right, the NFF roll, Ancestry and various others were wrong!!

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Doug Jenkins
Attachments:

DNW auction 25- 26 Jun 14 9 years 8 months ago #21377

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Nice detective work, Doug!
Dr David Biggins

DNW auction 25- 26 Jun 14 9 years 8 months ago #21378

• Doug
David

We all know that the medal is the physical thing, but like we all also know, the story is the real connection that we all seek to achieve I suppose.

I have just watched the dam buster story on BBC 2 and that connection is what we try to understand, but being so far back it is more of an issue, but because we want to understand, it just brings it closer.

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

DNW auction 25- 26 Jun 14 9 years 8 months ago #21390

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Doug,

I know exactly what you mean.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds