Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Looking for Boer War medal awarded to S.W. Carter (reg. No 333) 7 years 4 months ago #49806

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 234
Bronwen

I can further add that his service and discharge papers (10 pages - a lot for the IY) are available online at Findmypast. He was born in Tiddington near Bridgwater and attested into the 5th Company of the 2nd Battalion Imperial Yeomanry at Warwick 2/1/1900 aged 25 years 6 months. His occupation was farmer. He was 6 feet 1/2 inch tall (very tall for the time), weighed 12 stone 5 pounds with a 35 inch chest measuement. His complexion was florid, eyes grey and hair dark brown. He embarked with his unit for South Africa 30/1/1900. He was discharged at his own request at Shorncliffe 31/3/1901 by which time he'd managed to grow to 6 feet 1 inch, his chest measurement had increased to 43 inches and his complexion was described as dark! (Presumably the effect of being out in the South African sun for extended periods). His conduct was very good. Unusually he is shown as taking part in realtively minor actions at Hammanskraal and Warm Baths. He then re-enlisted with the same number into the 121st Company IY 28/1/1902 and went back to South Africa from 8/2/1902 until 24/7/1902. He was once again discharged at his In his own request 24/7/1902 by which time the war had ended. In his second set of enlistment papers he declared that he'd been living in America. His next of kin was his father Benjamin Carter who lived at Wickhamford, Evesham, Worcestershire.

Regards

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking for Boer War medal awarded to S.W. Carter (reg. No 333) 7 years 4 months ago #49807

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Bronwen,

You are looking for something very similar to this image and about 10cm in height.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Looking for Boer War medal awarded to S.W. Carter (reg. No 333) 7 years 4 months ago #49810

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Quite Frankly, I would not even contemplate buying a "replica" until you have ascertained that the medal is not within your own family, unless, of course, that is what you want to do, but, it would be without any value whatsoever, if Carter's QSA is not within your family, you might well spend a lifetime looking in a search that may never bare fruit.

Bronwen wrote: Thank you for your reply, your input is greatly appreciated.I know he was involved in the Battle of Hammanskraal, so probably Transvaal. I will try contact his descendants, but there are hundreds. as a matter of interest where does one buy replica medals?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bronwen

Looking for Boer War medal awarded to S.W. Carter (reg. No 333) 7 years 4 months ago #49812

• Bronwen
  • Bronwen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you David, much appreciated! yes he was rather tall,but so was my grandmother, his daughter. He was actually born in fiddington so that must be a typing error. He went back to England in 1901, found a newspaper article that stated that he was invalided and where he was quoted re his experiences in Boer War( this is what started me on my search), I also have the 1901 Census record where he was present at the family farm in Wickhamford, Evesham. He might have indeed gone to America for awhile as his brother did move there, but he later moved to South Africa where he married my greatgrandmother in 1908 in Vereeniging.thanks so much for your effort, will look this up.

Looking for Boer War medal awarded to S.W. Carter (reg. No 333) 7 years 4 months ago #49813

• Bronwen
  • Bronwen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you David B. will ask the descendants that I am in contact with, who knows, maybe someone has it lying in a box somewhere.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.525 seconds