Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Town Guards 11 years 1 week ago #9052

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
With regards to Town Guards and clasps, my favourite would have to be the Pietersburg Town Guard! :woohoo:
Regards Frank

One wonders to what lengths were actually went to and if the Transvaal CID were called! :woohoo:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Town Guards 11 years 1 week ago #9066

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442

Hi

The Pietersburg TG roll ( 12 medals issued) was signed by Major W G Bolton of Breaker Morant fame.

He added a note at the bottom of the page : The above were enlisted by me and took part in the defence of Pietersburg, when attacked by Beyers' Commando on 25th January'02

In subsequent correspondence re the recovery of clasps issued in error , it was stated that the recipients were widely scattered throughout the sparsely populated Zoutpansberg area and recovery not likely.

It is rumoured that the 4 awaiting-trial Bushveldt Carbineers officers were let out of jail to help in the defence of the town. Three of Beyers' burghers were killed in the attack.

The Pietersburg TG was commanded by Captain Michael Kelly : a Pietersburg resident who was one of the founders and first officers of the Bushveldt Carbineers (see write-up in Woolmore's "magnus opus" on the BVC). I swopped his QSA (issued off Pietersburg TG roll) many years ago for a Raised Dates QSA: both parties were 100% satisfied with the deal!

Henk
Attachments:

Town Guards 11 years 1 week ago #9068

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I have learnt quite a lot about the Pietersburg TG today. Many thanks Frank and Henk.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Town Guards 11 years 1 week ago #9071

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Henk,
Well that is one of the best QSA's I've seen on here for some time now, you are a very lucky fellow, but, you have shattered the image I had of the provost marshal and perhaps a few of those bloody hard Canadian South African Constabulary fellows getting off the train at Pietersberg after the war, their sole desire, the return of those clasps! :woohoo:

General Beyers had with him a fairly large commando they caused much trouble in the Zoutspansberg at the begining of 1902, Colonel Colenbrander took his column, which included the Pietersberg Light Horse, on a hard trek, north, to intercept him.
Colenbrander caught up with Beyers at Mahilas Kopje, but, Beyers had the advantage of knowing the country, it was very broken and insected with many smaller kopjes, with a number of very steep rocky dongas as well as the standing mealie crops which belonged to the local kaffirs.
After the commando made their first rush through the mealies, inflicting a number of casualties, Colenbrander decided to retire to a ridge serval hundred yards away and the two opposing forces exchanged fire for quite some time, both sides retired later, at dusk.
Beyers moved in to the Kleine Spelonken where he thought he would be safe, but, was intercepted again near Fort Edward, although he lost a number of men and horses, he managed to escape.

He had infact, moved across to Blauwberg and still had a good sized commando with him, Lord Kitchener's newly appointed Intelligence Officer Zoutspansberg had Beyers in mind when he took up his new headquarters in a small farm about a mile and a half outside Fort Edward and close to the main road.
He used his kaffir scouts well and they warned of any Boer movements towards Fort Edward, often he and his men had to stand to arms all night, but, it meant that Pietersberg was safe.

General Beyers became the Speaker of the first Transvaal Parliament and subsequently, Minster of Defence for the new Union, but, when the Great War began, he changed sides becoming a rebel, he joined the Germans in GWSA, he was drowned whilst attempting to cross a swollen river, when his horse was swept away by the current, a good soldier and a brave man.

Anyway Henk, that is a really good QSA and thank you for showing it on here today,
Kind regards Frank

Town Guards 11 years 1 week ago #9088

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
The Town Guards were not under the same administrative arm, and were essentialy part time civilians. Some only served for one or two days. I think that the way they were seen was as a town guard, not an army unit, hence like nurses, they got no bars.

Since they had medals issued, off rolls, the bulk of the administration was done. I just don't think they were considered to be soldiers, hence no bar.

Town Guards 10 years 11 months ago #9357

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Source: Page 126

68/South Africa/6387

Title: Town Guards and Garrison of Concordia

Namaqualand, which surrendered on the 4th April 1902, not to receive War Medal. Nominal Roll will be forwarded of the force in question.

For list or roll see Miscel Vol.

See full note in front of Namaqualand Town Guard (Town Guards Vol 5).
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.874 seconds