Pietersburg Town Guard 10 years 7 months ago #13293

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Source: Page 154
68/SA/7067

Medals and clasps for Transvaal and SA02 were issued to the Pietersburg Town Guard but the issue of clasps was an error and their recovery was called for, but the GOCinC reported 7.8.06 that "the 12 participants were widely scattered throughout the sparsely populated Zoutspanberg District and it seemed unlikely now that these clasps would be recovered." 68/SA/7076

The exception to the rile that Town Guards were not entitled to clasps were: Kimberley, Mafeking and Ladysmith.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pietersburg Town Guard 10 years 7 months ago #13303

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David

I think Henk posted a photo of one of these QSA's. I wonder how many others have come to light? Their rarity, mistaken issue of clasps and the town's name would make them attractive to collectors.

Regards
Brett

Pietersburg Town Guard 10 years 7 months ago #13307

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
I really like such abnormalities, the first page of the Vallentin's Heidelburg Volunteers roll has the addition of;

"The members of this corps were not attested and only took the oath of alliegence, this fact classes this corps in the catagory of District Mounted Troops."
"The Colony clasp was originally issued in error to members of this corps, but, no further issues of clasps are to be made"

Strange things happened in the Transvaal on a daily basis.
Wonderful stuff!

Kind regards Frank

Pietersburg Town Guard 10 years 7 months ago #13308

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Brett,

They are a real rarity amongst TG medals. In addition to Henk's, one more appeared for sale this year so I think that's a high proportion of the dozen awarded.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Pietersburg Town Guard 10 years 7 months ago #13309

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Frank,

I am with you I that. Those comments scribbled onto the roll pages often make fascinating reading.

I especially like the pages where there is a single recipient because it is often the case that more information was added to justify the medal or clasps.

Which reminds me that I need to look again at the disallowed Elandslaagte clasps to the Natal Police.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Pietersburg Town Guard 10 years 7 months ago #13317

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David
I think the Natal Police felt aggrieved on more than one occasion during the Boer War. The disallowing of the 'Elandslaagte' clasp to the NP men who were there was one such occasion. Other Colonials who were not in the 'front line' that day (Natal Field Artillery, Natal Mounted Rifles and Natal Carbineers) did get the medal.

It is possible that the decision-makers in Britain assumed that the NP were like British Bobbies, whereas, from its foundation as the Natal Mounted Police in 1874, it was a paramilitary organisation and Natal's permanent 'first line of defence'. For example, when the British high command in south-east Africa was taken by surprise by the 1880/81 Transvaal Rebellion (1st Anglo-Boer War), there was no Imperial cavalry regiment based in Natal. Instead, a squadron of Natal Mounted Police was sent to the Transvaal border and remained active patrolling until the peace settlement. The NMP commander, J G Dartnell, was awarded the CMG. Of course, there was no service medal for that war, in keeping with the British tradition of not commemorating a defeat.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds