TOPIC:

March 2nd 12 years 1 month ago #2415

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
1900 - Mafeking siege day 141 (64%).
1902 - Methuen marches out from Vryburg.

In Mafeking:

Shell fire. Our new gun was tried on the sniping trenches, more for ranging purposes and to learn her extent and powers than anything else. The Boer trenches showed great curiosity as to what she was and why she did it, for her shells burst with a most delightful report and seemed to spread very nicely. A new toy like this is a god-send to us in our present dull condition.

The Boers during the experiment, however, kept themselves and their curiosity underground. The Boer big gun was removed at sunset and the usual crop of surmises, bets as to destination, cause of removal, &c, sprang rapidly into existence, and at any rate gave us something to talk about; it takes very little to interest us here.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

March 2nd 8 years 1 month ago #45454

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900 (his final entry):

It is said, several Boer women were killed in Buller’s fight on Tuesday. If women will unsex themselves, and join in the ranks of battle, they must expect the same fate as their male comrades. The Boer women have always been more bitter against the English than the men have. I don’t pity them, but I am sorry this has happened, because it will give Dr Leyds, and men of his sort, an opportunity of accusing our men of being barbarians like themselves. The she Boers were very violent instigators of the war, and have acted as spies for Pretoria all through. Most of them can shoot as well as the men can. An unsexed woman, is always more devilish than a he devil, as has been proved hundreds of times: notably in all the French revolutions. — Brockbank gave me two cigars, and a little tobacco. Dick Cox also sent me a little. Tobacco is at a premium. — All the time we have been starving, the rebels on Bulwan, have had all they could desire. They left behind them heaps of tea, coffee, beans, tobacco, potatoes, Boer rusks which are very good, and great quantities of other things, which we needed. — We have had no shells for three days. We had got so used to them, that it seems as if we had lost an old friend. However, we don’t want him back again.

I have recorded my impressions of persons and events during the siege. I may possibly be mistaken in some of the minor particulars, but I don’t think I am. And now the siege is done. I have done also.
Dr David Biggins

March 2nd 8 years 1 month ago #45459

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
David
Thanks for transcribing this interesting diary. Certainly, it is a different viewpoint from other accounts. I always like to see contemporary accounts of signal events.
Regards
IL.

March 2nd 8 years 1 month ago #45475

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
David
I have also enjoyed reading the diary entries. I will miss them! Thank you for sharing them.
Regards
Brett

March 2nd 8 years 1 month ago #45478

• azyeoman
  • Thank you received: 296
I agree with Brett. I look forward to reading these. Thanks so much for posting. Please start a new one of you cane. :)

March 2nd 8 years 1 month ago #45479

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Dave......

The first thing in the morning I now do instead of checking ebay is come and read yours and Rory's postings with my first coffee.....

What a wonderful way to start a day......

Thank you for the great postings......

Mike

P.S. I should also add before checking my lottery tickets also//////
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.523 seconds