TOPIC:

March 7th 12 years 1 month ago #2470

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
1900 - Mafeking siege day 146 (67%).
1902 - Lord Methuen defeated and made prisoner at Tweebosch.

In Mafeking:

Heavy firing all night in the brickfields; only two shells. The Boers have commenced to trek. Trooper McDonald, Cape Police, died. His was an adventurous career; lie joined the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders in '47, served in the Crimea (French and Sardinian Medal, two clasps), served in the Indian Mutiny, was kidnapped when embarking home by Americans, fought for the North against the South, deserted the North and fought for the South, afterwards went to Australia, thence to New Zealand, and served in the Maori War where he was taken prisoner. Later he came to South Africa, served in the Basuto War, Sir Charles Warren's expedition, Carrington's Horse, the B. B. P., and transferred to the Cape Police, in which corps he has died of hardships and old age, fighting the Boers. He is not the only Crimean veteran we have here, both the Navy and Army are represented. Mr. Ellis joined the Royal Navy in 1854, served in the Baltic and the Black Sea, came to Africa and served in the Galika War. Mr. Brasier served in the Crimea and Mutiny, and there are others of whose extent of service I am not so certain. The contrast between them and the Cadet Corps, who are utilised for orderly work, &c, is remarkable, and if the Boers have their greybeards and boys fighting, whyso have we. It seems very curious at first, but one soon gets used to it, as indeed one does to the underground residences, all business, as far as possible, being carried on in dug-outs; dining-rooms, offices, stores, barracks, even the bank where Mr. Urry, who with Captain Greener runs our paper coinage, sits in charge of a vast amount of paper, but very little hard cash, for the Kaffirs have buried all specie obtainable, are below ground. In our dug-out we have some siege mice, born since its construction, of a friendly and confiding disposition, who come and feed on the table, and play about and have a good time generally; other animals are therefore not admitted.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: March 7th 12 years 1 month ago #2473

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Trooper McDonald must have been a remarkable man and great company in the pub or around a campfire. I wonder if his medals have survived?

Brett

March 7th 7 years 1 month ago #52484

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

I needn’t have growled about only two letters on the 3rd, as on the 4th the whole mail came in, and I had as my private share, 126 letters, 5 telegrams, 37 bundles of newspapers, and a few more have come yesterday, and today I got 15 letters from you, and think I must have all up to about the 25th January. There seem to be big gaps all the first three weeks in December and Christmas week, and one week in January. Very likely some will turn up still. I also got your big bundles of warm jerseys, socks, hankies, cigarettes, baccy, and muffler; also the little parcel with cotton shirt, socks, and flask, all safe, except that the sides of the flask are stove in flat. I expect they can be forced out by the armourer, if so, it will be a godsend, as my present one is borrowed, and is very heavy and clumsy, and being pewter, makes the whiskey taste filthy. This one is just the right size and shape, and won’t break. The lozenges inside were black and looked very nasty, so I threw them away. I had been longing for my muffler and a thick woolly jersey, and was just thinking of wiring to you for my thick sweater when the parcel came. I shall be all right now. They say frosts at night begin in another month, and we have no warm clothes at all. I wish I had another blanket, but I dare say I shall manage, as I can always go to bed in my socks and all my other clothes. I got quite used to having to do that when attacks were expected. Thank goodness, they are a thing of the past, and we have dismantled all our old posts and shelters, and pitched a nice, smart, square camp on a lovely open piece of clean ground, high up and away from the town, with its smells and dust, and looking out over the country, where a month ago, if a tent had been pitched, six Boer shells would have been thrown at it in ten minutes.

I believe there isn’t a Boer nearer than the line of the Drakensberg. A brigade has gone north to reconnoitre past Elandslaagte today, and set to work on repairing that line. Warren’s division go round at once to join Roberts, and so does Sir G. White. He starts on the 9th, and is to have an army corps command. Buller remains in command in Natal, and we shall probably be incorporated into one of two brigades being made up of the old Ladysmith troops, and rumour says we are all to go down to the neighbourhood of Colenso to rest and recruit, in a few days, as soon as the railway is open through. There is still a small break near Pieters.

Kane and Scafe have been given a month’s sick leave in Natal, and are to go down at once for change to Maritzburg. I shall try to get them sent right on to India to the depot, as the sea voyage will set them up, and they will be quite well enough to help Spratt. Forty-eight hours I worked day and night, reading letters and papers, and docketing them, till my poor head fairly simmered with the rush of news and the muddle of the dates, and trying to get some sense out of the chaos. An English mail closed today, but I couldn’t attempt to write a line, and they must wait till next week. Indian mails are uncertain, and besides you come first, and nobody else matters in comparison.

I met de Courcy Hamilton, of Sir G. White’s staff, this morning, and said I hoped that when he got away round the other side, and after the war was over, Sir George would not forget the Devonshire Regiment, and he said: “If you had seen, as I have, what Sir George has written officially and privately, and said about you and the Devonshire regiment, you would know for a certainty that he will never forget either you or the Devonshire regiment as long as he lives." I am going to have a personal good-bye visit tomorrow, and thank him for his kindness, and of course everyone will be at the station to see him off on Friday.

I am very well, though I have suffered tortures of indigestion the last three days in spite of great care. I suppose my weak and half-starved inside can’t bear the slightest work, and the increase of food has had dire effects. It is fading out gradually, and I expect with regular daily exercise and a little care I shall be all right. I haven’t weighed lately; must do so, and record results. We have white bread, jam, fresh mutton, potatoes, Quaker oats, beer and whiskey now, and I expect we shall shortly break out into puddings and such delicacies. Haven’t seen an egg yet, and only once bacon and once cheese. The amount of tobacco, pipes, cigarettes that are being showered on the whole garrison is incredible. Everyone in the world seems to have sent out some, and all the men*have at least two pipes and 2 lbs. of baccy, and in the mess there are about 12,000 cigarettes and about 2 or 3 lbs. of baccy each. I have got 500 of my own cigarettes, 100 from you, 200 from Lilias, and 200 from mother and someone else, I forget who (Stanley perhaps). The letters of congratulation from all kinds of people have been quite overwhelming, though intensely nice and heartwarming. I do hope you and all at home realise now that there is no further cause for anxiety about me or any of the regiment. We shall do no more fighting in all probability, and are just going to camp about, and eat, and exercise and get strong, and by the time we have done that I should think the war will be so nearly over that we shall be sent straight back to India. I was so relieved and thankful to know you were still at Jullundur, I felt that if you weren’t I was at sea, and should never get at you.

I have at last seen my own gazette, and a January Army List with Park as Lieut.-Colonel which is soothing to the eyes

I don’t think you will find I have aged much, though Rujub says I have got very grey, and I don’t feel strong, though I shall get over that very soon. “Kaiser” is as fit as a fiddle and goes very well with me everywhere.

Poor “Briggs” is a mere shadow, and so weak he can hardly crawl. The last time I tried to get on his back he sat down straight, and if I lean my arms on him he crouches now. He is getting nearly his full feed of corn and goes out for an hour’s walk morning and evening, and then grazes in lovely hay as long as he likes, so I hope in a week or so he will have picked up.
Dr David Biggins

March 7th 7 years 1 month ago #52485

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Train expected today, but has not arrived yet, and we have had no post since yesterday morning. This morning Aunt Fanny, Uncle -George and I rode up to the Town Hall to hear His Excellency Sir Walter Hely Hutchinson address the troops and citizens of Ladysmith. I saw General Sir Redvers Buller for the first time. He is very much like the pictures you see of him in the illustrated papers, very heavy and surly looking. I like the looks of our old General White better.

All the Carbineers, B.M.R.s and N.M.R.s left at 11 this morning for Highlands for a change. They were to sleep at Colenso tonight. We miss them very much.

A great number came in to say goodbye this morning.

The I.L.H. left this afternoon at three for Hilton Road. We had got to know a great many of them. It seems to me now that the Siege is over and all these people have gone, for four months seen no new faces, that a chapter has closed in our lives, for I don't suppose we will ever see half of them again. One of the relief men was asked the other day what his impression of the people here was when he first came in. He said he thought they looked ready for burial. He had the feeling he was amongst an army of dead men, they looked so pale, thin and clean. He couldn't have seen the poor Tommies that have been on the hills all the time. The Manchesters had no boots and their clothes are red with clay and all split and worn.
Dr David Biggins

March 7th 7 years 1 month ago #52486

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Had a splendid night’s rest and feel so much better. Receipt of cable and better food have worked wonders. Shall soon be fit for work again. The whole of the Volunteers have left for Highlands. Writing home.
Dr David Biggins

March 7th 7 years 1 month ago #52492

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The last line is very telling, Arthur Curran's lads certainly had drawn the short straw when it came to the defence of the town at their end of that wretched ridge, very unpleasant indeed.

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Train expected today, but has not arrived yet, and we have had no post since yesterday morning. This morning Aunt Fanny, Uncle -George and I rode up to the Town Hall to hear His Excellency Sir Walter Hely Hutchinson address the troops and citizens of Ladysmith. I saw General Sir Redvers Buller for the first time. He is very much like the pictures you see of him in the illustrated papers, very heavy and surly looking. I like the looks of our old General White better.

All the Carbineers, B.M.R.s and N.M.R.s left at 11 this morning for Highlands for a change. They were to sleep at Colenso tonight. We miss them very much.

A great number came in to say goodbye this morning.

The I.L.H. left this afternoon at three for Hilton Road. We had got to know a great many of them. It seems to me now that the Siege is over and all these people have gone, for four months seen no new faces, that a chapter has closed in our lives, for I don't suppose we will ever see half of them again. One of the relief men was asked the other day what his impression of the people here was when he first came in. He said he thought they looked ready for burial. He had the feeling he was amongst an army of dead men, they looked so pale, thin and clean. He couldn't have seen the poor Tommies that have been on the hills all the time. The Manchesters had no boots and their clothes are red with clay and all split and worn.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds