March 9th 12 years 2 weeks ago #2480

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Mafeking siege day 148 (68%).

In Mafeking:

Heavy firing all night, commencing early with heavy volleys on the north and north-west fronts. I rode round the western outposts; it is a very pleasant ride and the Boers were pretty quiet, at least as concerned me, for they took no notice at all.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

March 9th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52523

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Gen. White left by the first down train (following necessary repairs to line), for P.M.Burg en route to Capetown, from whence, it is surmised, he will go forward to join Lord Roberts. The train was timed to leave at 9 o’clock, but did not get away until nearly 10. After addressing his own regiment, the Gordons, which formed up outside the Station, he walked to the platform where he took leave of Gen. Buller, Sir Archibald Hunter, their respective staffs, a number of Officers, Major Farquhar, Archdeacon Barker, with a few residents of the town, amongst whom were a few ladies. Poor old Sir George was very much affected on wishing us goodbye and looked terribly worn and ill. I am greatly afraid he will not be able to take any further active part in this or any other Campaign. The train steamed out amidst the strains of Bagpipes and hurrahing and cheers of those who were privileged to see him off. He has proved himself to all those who have served under him, to be a thoroughly conscientious, and a good all round man, deserving of far more appreciation than yet shown him. Waggons are now coming in one continuous string, though it is still difficult to get requirements. Goldmann came up by the first train to get his horses away. After dinner he treated us to some champagne, etc. which helped the spending of a very jolly evening.
Dr David Biggins

March 9th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52524

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Nothing to write tonight. It seems an awful thing to say, but I quite miss "Long Tom", every day seems alike now, no excitement of any kind. All being well Aunt Fanny, Mama and perhaps Ada will leave on Tuesday next. I will follow later with Wilfrid. He has been very low today and so weak. He has had to have a hot water bag to his feet all the morning.
Dr David Biggins

March 9th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52526

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I quite agree, it certainly was a really awful, actually rather appalling thing to say, quite frankly, the machinations of some wretched Wagnerian gunner and his understudies are something anyone in the civilised world could do without.

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Nothing to write tonight. It seems an awful thing to say, but I quite miss "Long Tom", every day seems alike now, no excitement of any kind. All being well Aunt Fanny, Mama and perhaps Ada will leave on Tuesday next. I will follow later with Wilfrid. He has been very low today and so weak. He has had to have a hot water bag to his feet all the morning.

March 9th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52530

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 714
After months of privation and stress, the euphoria of the 'Relief' had soon to give way to anti-climax and the realisation that life went on.

A RN/SANF veteran, who had a very active war, told me that they were the best years of his life. They were filled with travel abroad, many new experiences, some excitement, and a camaraderie that he had not known before or since. Of course, he was one of the lucky ones. For millions more the war was hell.

Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

March 9th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52539

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A great many servicemen will tell you the same, Brett, for some, it is, indeed, the case, for others, they tend to look back and focus their minds on the good bits of their particular service, however, there are also a few who will just say that, knowing full well they are a damned liar!

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds