TOPIC:

March 11th 12 years 2 weeks ago #2499

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Mafeking siege day 150 (69%).
1901 - De Wet arrives at Senekal and dismisses his burghers.
1904 - Chinese Labour Ordinance sanctioned by British Government.

In Mafeking:

Last night heavy firing as usual, but to-day,contrary to our late custom, peace has reigned in the brickfields, and both sides sat on their parapets and asked after various friends on the other side. The Boers have lately, as the natives express it, become much more tame, and have allowed Kaffir women to gather wood, pumpkins, and Kaffir corn without molestation. Our Sunday was absolutely peaceful and quiet, and as we are not able now to indulge in mounted sports, &c, owing to the condition of the horses, we have fallen back on cricket as our Sunday relaxation.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

March 11th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52568

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

11th March - I suddenly went flop with fever four days ago, and have been stuck in bed since and not allowed to read or write. I am much better today and sitting up a bit, and shall be all right in a day or two, so don’t worry, You will always know that if I get bad I shall wire directly; that is, if I want you to come or am going to be invalided, or stuck in hospital a long time. As it is, we (the regiment) are now in the 7th brigade, 4th division, and are going to move out on light scale in two or three days towards Van Reenen’s Pass, up the Harrismith line, and you couldn’t come there. A batch of eleven registered letters, all from you, came in three days ago to my huge joy, and I think all gaps are now filled up.

The fever is a bore, as it just pulls me back to the state of utter limpness I was in at the end of the siege, but I am getting lovely fresh milk, Marie bikkies, nice tea, and good soup and bread - all from hospital, and a bottle of port all to myself, so I am cutting it fat and you need not be anxious.

NOTE.- Here my letter ended abruptly, as I was sent to hospital with enteric fever, and was subsequently invalided home. - C.W.P.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

March 11th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52569

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Ada up today on the sofa. A great celebrity in the shape of a Miss Plunkitt, a philanthropist, called today. She came up with the Column. She is very wealthy and works in the East End of London. She has left that to follow the troops, hoping to do some good amongst the Tommies. She wants to go on with the troops to Pretoria. She is willing to do anything while in Ladysmith. She seems to he doing a lot of good amongst the poor and sick. Wilfrid is normal tonight for the first time. The doctor says it will be a fortnight before he will be able to leave.

Went to Church tonight with Archie (who by the way arrived at midday today) and Mr. Fanshawe.
Dr David Biggins

March 11th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52570

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Sunday. With exception of waggons coming in everything is very quiet. Made several calls bidding adieu. During the evening an officer called at Mrs. Haden’s asking for a room for the night, as he had come on in advance of a convoy of waggons containing commissariat stores. After chatting for some time I discovered he was an old Farnham Grammar School boy, knowing us all well, and particularly my reputation as a youth. He holds a commission in the Queen’s Surrey, as Quartermaster. He goes on to Elandslaagte tomorrow to pick up his regiment. We had a long chat about mutual friends, a number of whom I find are in the country.
Dr David Biggins

March 11th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52575

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I have never felt Cecil Park got the proper recognition he really deserved for the part he and his men had played in the Natal campaign, although, I don't think it was ever sought either and certainly not by himself, which is quite right and proper, notwithstanding, his service must have taken it's toll on him, very sad, his regiment were superb.

djb wrote: 1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

11th March - I suddenly went flop with fever four days ago, and have been stuck in bed since and not allowed to read or write. I am much better today and sitting up a bit, and shall be all right in a day or two, so don’t worry, You will always know that if I get bad I shall wire directly; that is, if I want you to come or am going to be invalided, or stuck in hospital a long time. As it is, we (the regiment) are now in the 7th brigade, 4th division, and are going to move out on light scale in two or three days towards Van Reenen’s Pass, up the Harrismith line, and you couldn’t come there. A batch of eleven registered letters, all from you, came in three days ago to my huge joy, and I think all gaps are now filled up.

The fever is a bore, as it just pulls me back to the state of utter limpness I was in at the end of the siege, but I am getting lovely fresh milk, Marie bikkies, nice tea, and good soup and bread - all from hospital, and a bottle of port all to myself, so I am cutting it fat and you need not be anxious.

NOTE.- Here my letter ended abruptly, as I was sent to hospital with enteric fever, and was subsequently invalided home. - C.W.P.

March 11th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52597

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Frank
As you no doubt know by now, Colonel Park is not on my favourites list, although I have great admiration for the men in his regiment, who did all that was asked of them, both at Elandslaagte and on Wagon Hill. The fact that Park did not get "proper recognition" (perhaps a DSO) might reflect an unrecorded view of him by his superiors in Ladysmith. I have not checked to see what decorations were awarded to other men of the Devonshire Regiment, except for the VC to Lt Masterson, which was well deserved. If there were others for Elandslaagte and Ladysmith it would indicate that Park was very obviously overlooked.
Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds