Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private William Thorburn Nichol, 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers 7 years 7 months ago #48174

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
In Troqueer parish churchyard extension, Troqueer, Dumfries, Scotland. He's named on the Northumbrian Regiments Boer war memorial in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Private William Thorburn Nichol, 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers. Lost his life in the South African War in 1901, aged 22 years. Son of William Nichol and Mary (née Thorburn) Nichol.

Note that the inscribed abbreviation for Private is given as Pvt., which would more normally be associated with the U.S. Army, as far as I'm aware.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Brett Hendey, Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private William Thorburn Nichol, 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers 7 years 7 months ago #48197

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
That's very interesting. According to In Memoriam, neither the place nor cause of death is known.
Dr David Biggins

Private William Thorburn Nichol, 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers 7 years 7 months ago #48198

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
A quick search of The Times failed to locate him either.
Dr David Biggins

Private William Thorburn Nichol, 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers 7 years 7 months ago #48208

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
If someone can come up with a possible date of death I can have a look in the Dumfries newspaper; if not, it will have to wait until I have enough spare time to go through 1901.

This is where his name appears on the Newcastle upon Tyne monument.

Private William Thorburn Nichol, 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers 7 years 7 months ago #48209

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Berenice
Just now I had a look on the rolls of the NF (one of my favourites!) and found "5123 Pte. W.Nichol" on WO100/169 page 202 (QSA clasps CC/Dreif/Joh) roll page headed "Roll of men who joined from Coy., 1St M.I. before Battn. mobilised". The medal roll entry for Pte W.Nicholl has a marginal note "MISSING. Court of Inquiry finding 14/6/01". From what I have sen in the past, a CofI may not be held until some time has elapsed after a man was "Missing". Unfortunately, we may never establish a date of death.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.391 seconds