Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

RDF Arch, Dublin 7 years 6 months ago #48270

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Funded by public subscription, the arch was erected in 1907. Designed by John Howard Pentland, it was built by Henry Laverty and Sons. Inspired by the Arch of Titus in Rome, the structure measures 23m wide by 10m high. The internal dimensions of the arch are 5.6m high by 3.7m wide.

The arch is made of granite with the inscriptions carved in limestone and with a bronze adornment on the front.

The names of 222 dead are inscribed on the memorial.

It is reportedly "one of the few colonialist monuments in Dublin not blown up" in Ireland's post-independence history and, as Frank points out, is known locally by a different name.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RDF Arch, Dublin 7 years 6 months ago #48271

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
This is the Arch of Titus as a comparison.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

RDF Arch, Dublin 7 years 6 months ago #48272

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Traitors gate is certainly in rather better condition despite the attention it received in 1916, although, it is not quite as old.

djb wrote: This is the Arch of Titus as a comparison.

RDF Arch, Dublin 7 years 6 months ago #48273

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Thank you for showing a very fine monument, David. I had not seen the list of casualties before. The list includes the name of Colour Sergeant James Gage, who was killed at Colenso. He was the brother of Colour Sergeant John Gage DCM of the RDF Mounted Infantry, who was captured at Talana.

Coincidentally, I am at present engaged in a correspondence with a family link to John Gage, and I hope that he will soon be posting about John on this forum.

A medal group to a RDF Sergeant wounded at Colenso included one of the earliest QSA's added to my collection, and the RDF has interested me ever since.

Brett

RDF Arch, Dublin 7 years 6 months ago #48276

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Brett,

It is great that you are in touch with the family of John Gage and we look forward to reading the outcome in due course.

It is funny how those early purchases have a special place in collections for many people. I remember Chris and I found a Victory Medal named to a Colonel in a second hand shop many years ago and that stayed in the collection for 40 years!

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

RDF Arch, Dublin 7 years 6 months ago #48278

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David
I think the early finds were those before we (some of us, anyway) became jaded and cynical about some dealers and some other collectors - childish enthusiasm, in fact (even though some of us were in our dotage when we started collecting)!
Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.554 seconds