Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lieutenant William Digby Oswald, Railway Pioneer Regiment - k.i.a. 1916 7 years 6 months ago #49138

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
This memorial seat is by the Hardy Monument, near Portesham, Dorset. It's dedicated to the memory of Lieutenant Colonel William Digby Oswald D.S.O., who was killed in action on the Somme on 16th July 1916. There are two side-panels, one for his service as a Lieutenant in the Railway Pioneer Corps, in the South African War, 1902, and the other for his service in the Natal Rebellion, as a captain in Royston's Horse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lieutenant William Digby Oswald, Railway Pioneer Regiment - k.i.a. 1916 7 years 6 months ago #49139

• BereniceUK

Lieutenant William Digby Oswald, Railway Pioneer Regiment - k.i.a. 1916 7 years 6 months ago #49140

• BereniceUK
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Lieutenant William Digby Oswald, Railway Pioneer Regiment - k.i.a. 1916 7 years 6 months ago #49142

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
A great find Berenice and another name for the Somme Register. :)

DSO in the ABW and twice MID in WW1 was just 36 years old when he died, quite a soldier.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Lieutenant William Digby Oswald, Railway Pioneer Regiment - k.i.a. 1916 7 years 6 months ago #49146

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
There are records in the Maritzburg Archives that may refer to William Digby Oswald. They are:
1906 - W D Oswald applies at the Isipingo Post Office for the renewal of an Inward Pass on behalf of Magolwane Gabela.
1907 - Principal Veterinary Surgeon regarding dispensing with the services of Quarantine Officer Oswald.
1907 - District Veterinary Officer, Durban regarding appointment of W D Oswald to a vacant post.
1908 - W D Oswald of Pinetown applies for appointment.
1908 - Two records of W D Oswald of Pinetown applying for permits to move cattle.

It would be interesting to know if there are other records that confirm W D Oswald and the Lt Colonel are indeed one and the same man.

Brett

Lieutenant William Digby Oswald, Railway Pioneer Regiment - k.i.a. 1916 7 years 6 months ago #49148

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Lt. Col. William Digby Oswald
The best pic I could make from the "VC and DSO Book".

Mentioned in Despatches by Lord Kitchener on 8/3/1902 and created a Companion of the Distinguished Order (LG, 31/10/1902). "For services during operations in South Africa".
He has an extensive bio when a name search was conducted on this site. A very interesting comment is made in that bio - and is well worth reproducing here; "..viz the rescue of a native scout on 31st January, the enemy being close to him , and pursuing for some miles. So reticent was he in some matters pertaining to himself that it is doubtful if even his most intimate friends ever knew for what act of gallantry he was awarded this high distinction".
There had been an intention by officers of the 5th Dragoons and 3rd Div. to erect a memorial in his name in the form of a drinking fountain for animals in Surrey or Dorset - Lt.Col Oswald being a very good horseman and polo player. Perhaps the drinking fountain was later converted to a Memorial Seat; as shown in the photographs so ably taken by Berenice.
IL.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.537 seconds