Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lieutenant George Lockhart Greenshields, Shropshire Yeomanry 6 years 11 months ago #53246

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300

LinneyI wrote: Berenice
SAFF shows the 13th Coy., I.Y.suffered five casualties at "Gt. Afdeeling" on 7/6/1901; Pte A. Handley killed, Lt. Greensheilds Dgsly Wdd, L/cpl E.Allen sev. wdd, also Ptes W.Broom and J.Slade also sev. wdd. I can't find any location for Groot Afdeeling in TH Vol.7, or in the OH vol.4. However, the Palmer roll shows that the action took place near Zeerust - which was an important supply base and apparently was effectively under siege around 6/01.
Lt. Hugh Stewart McCorquodale was with Thorneycroft's M.I. and was killed in action on Spion Kop on 24/1/1900. If you so desire, I can post the bio of Lt. McCorquodale (from Palmer) as well.
Regards
IL.

As I'll soon be adding to the Lieutenant McCorquodale thread that we already have, I'd say best to save it for there, but thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lieutenant George Lockhart Greenshields, Shropshire Yeomanry 6 years 8 months ago #55265

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Berenice

Photo of Lt GL Greenshields

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Lieutenant George Lockhart Greenshields, Shropshire Yeomanry 6 years 3 months ago #56941

• BereniceUK
In St. Oswald's Church, Malpas, is this wonderful stained glass window, a memorial to G. L. Greenshields from his family. The rood screen rather spoils the full visual impact, although it presumably predates the window.

THE LATE LIEUT. GREENSHIELDS. - On Sunday a window was dedicated in St. Oswald's Church, Malpas, to the glory of God and in memory of Lieut. George Lockhart Greenshields, of the 13th Shropshire Company Imperial Yeomanry, who was mortally wounded while leading his troop in a charge at Grootafdeeling, South Africa, on the 7th, and died on the 9th June, 1901. The window is by Mr. C. E. Kempe, and the lights are filled by four noble figures representing St. Oswald, St. Sebastian, St. George and St. Edmund. Saints and martyrs, with figures of angels, appropriate of the military character of the Saints, fill the upper portion. Across the window runs a scroll, bearing the words "Be thou faithful unto death and I will give thee a crown of life." Underneath is the inscription.
Cheshire Observer, Saturday 13th September 1902

The full inscription, across the window, reads: - To the glory of God and in Honour of his Saints Oswald, Edmund, Sebastian and George, who loved not their lives unto death

In loving memory of George Lockhart, eldest son of Robert Low and Helen Greenshields of Malpas, Cheshire, Lieutenant Shropshire Company, Imperial Yeomanry.

He was mortally wounded in action at Grootafdeeling South Africa, on the viith and died on the ixth of June mdcccci, aged xxiv years.

His father, mother, brothers and sisters dedicate this window.

The four lights, from left -

Be thou faithful unto death and I will give thee a crown of life.

Lieutenant George Lockhart Greenshields, Shropshire Yeomanry 6 years 3 months ago #56970

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
From The Shropshire Yeomanry MDCCXCV/MCMXLV by E. W. Gladstone (1953), p. 153

'The first trek of Methuen's column was a long one in the Western Transvaal, and took them right into the veldt miles from any town, but on ground familiar to old hands. By 27 May [1901], they were able to tell of two recent engagements, in which they had captured twenty-nine prisoners, many wagons and carts, 6,000 cattle and 17,000 sheep. In the second case they had surprised a party of Boers holding a dance at a farmhouse, under the impression that Lord Methuen was twenty-eight miles away; as indeed he had been, until he doubled back in a night march. A number of casualties were suffered in a third action on 7 June at Grootafdeeling, near Zeerust, on which occasion the brunt of the fighting was taken by the 13th Company, to whom were attached forty men from the Northumberland Company under Lieutenant J. K. Hill's command. The seriousness of the fight is shown by the fact that no less than five officers were wounded. There were forty casualties amongst the men, and eight-eight horses were lost. Some of the Yeomen, including Lieutenant Hulton-Harrap of Lythwood Hall, Shrewsbury, were taken prisoner, but they were later released. Of the wounded officers Lieutenant G. L. Greenshields died two days later; the loss of this fine young officer, who had only a short time before represented Cambridge (sic) in cricket and athletics, was deeply felt both in the squadron and at home. Trooper Handley was killed in this action, Trooper Tagg of Hadnall severely wounded, and Trooper G. Keen reported missing. Trooper G. Edwards was also reported missing and subsequently proved to have been killed.'

Justin

Lieutenant George Lockhart Greenshields, Shropshire Yeomanry 5 years 10 months ago #59145

• BereniceUK
Part of Radley College's ABW memorial.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Lieutenant George Lockhart Greenshields, Shropshire Yeomanry 5 years 10 months ago #59288

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Klerksdorp Old Cemetery, South Africa:

British Yeomanry Memorial

[/b]
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.574 seconds