Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

BOER WAR MEMORIAL CENTRAL PARK CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA 12 years 1 day ago #2867

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879
BOER WAR MEMORIAL
CENTRAL PARK
CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA

The Lord Strathcona Horse, a unique Canadian contribution to the Boer War, was a force of five hundred mounted "rough riders" which Lord Strathcona outfitted at his own expense. Headquarters was in Calgary and the regiment became a source of great local pride.

When the war was over, in 1909, an unidentified man was found frozen to death in a field near the city. His only identification was a paper showing he had served in South Africa and had been discharged from the Strathcona's, so fellow veterans rallied to collect funds to provide him with a suitable burial. Later, when his identity had been established, his family in England refunded the money and it became the nucleus of a fund to erect a Boer War monument

Further money was raised through public subscription and in 1911, a noted French-Canadian sculptor was commissioned to create an equestrian statue for Central Park. Because the battle of Spion Kop marked the turning point of the South African campaign, it was decided to depict a private and his mount on the summit of the hill.

A typical Western pony was shipped to Quebec for M. Herbert's use and the man chosen to pose for the soldier was Thomas Henry Johnson, a recent arrival from Ireland. Although he had been a member of the Fourth (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards he had never seen service in South Africa, but he was chosen as typical of the Canadian soldiers who had seen service in the Boer War. Perhaps the choice was more logical than it appears, most of the southern Albertans who had been with the Strathcona's were young British men and recent immigrants to Canada.

The statue was dedicated in June of 1914, and at the time was considered to be one of the four finest equestrian statues in the world, its dimensions being 50% larger than life, the soldier being nine feet tall.

Colonel Macleod Chapter of the I.O.D.E. undertook to finance purchase of the British Columbia granite base.

Location: Twelfth Avenue and Fourth Street Southwest, Calgary, Alberta.

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: BOER WAR MEMORIAL CENTRAL PARK CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA 12 years 1 day ago #2868

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Great to see this memorial, Mike. Thanks for posting !

Cheers,

Mark

Re: BOER WAR MEMORIAL CENTRAL PARK CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA 12 years 1 day ago #2869

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Mike

Thank you for posting about an outstanding memorial. The story behind it is as impressive as the monument itself.

Regards
Brett

Re: BOER WAR MEMORIAL CENTRAL PARK CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA 12 years 16 hours ago #2872

• QSAMIKE
Thank You Brett and Mark......

I will be going down to the city archives in the next couple of days to see if I can find out more information and will post then.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: BOER WAR MEMORIAL CENTRAL PARK CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA 12 years 8 hours ago #2874

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Mike,
Thank you for sharing.
A nice write up about a superb memorial and excellent pictures.
I have a good friend who emigrated to Calgary in January this year, I think I will ask himto take some pics for me.

Regards
Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: BOER WAR MEMORIAL CENTRAL PARK CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA 12 years 7 hours ago #2875

• QSAMIKE
Hi Paul....

These photos were taken with a cell phone I intended to go down and get some better pictures later....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.641 seconds