Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

BOER WAR MEMORIAL CENTRAL PARK CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA 7 years 4 months ago #49626

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294

QSAMIKE wrote: A typical Western pony was shipped to Quebec for M. Herbert's use and the man chosen to pose for the soldier was Thomas Henry Johnson, a recent arrival from Ireland. Although he had been a member of the Fourth (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards he had never seen service in South Africa, but he was chosen as typical of the Canadian soldiers who had seen service in the Boer War. Perhaps the choice was more logical than it appears, most of the southern Albertans who had been with the Strathcona's were young British men and recent immigrants to Canada.

I don't know where the Wikipedia entry got its information from, but there's a different model for the trooper there!.......
"Standing on the steps of Sacred Heart Church, Hébert spotted Eneas McCormack, then in his early twenties, and thought he would make a good model for the statue. The bronze statue has him sitting astride what was rancher Pat Burns's own pony. The statue is one and a half times life size, and has been described as one of the four finest equestrian statues in the world."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Memorial_Park

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BOER WAR MEMORIAL CENTRAL PARK CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA 7 years 4 months ago #49628

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hi Berenice.....

I would soon listen to the newspapers of the time rather than something that was written on Wikipedia 100 years after the fact.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.801 seconds