Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Two Free State battle riddles 11 years 3 months ago #7066

• FSburgher
  • FSburgher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
To my fellow Boer war enthusiasts and historians the following 2 riddles;
1. On a recent exploration visit to the farm "Paarden Vallei" in the Theunissen district in the Free State, I discoverd an old broken tombstone; the following was engraved thereon, ' In Memory of Color Sergt G Wood
H Coy Perm Staff, 3 rd East Lanc Regt..........the dates and other info lower down on the stone is broken off and missing. Can anyone cast light on this skirmish, fatality or burial site?
The farm is near the Vet River waterworks and the old railway bridge, can anyone cast light on records of skirming in that vacinity and names of theose killed and wouinded there? : :unsure:

2. In the soldier's cemetry at Karee Station adjacent the Brandfort to Bloemfontein road there is a memorial stone to Henry Charles Lumsden of Lumsden's Horse, KIA at Osspruit 30 April 1900. To my knowledge Osspruit is on the northen bank of the Vet River and quite possibly 30-40 kms north of the Karee Station battle field. Is HC Lumsden buried at Karee station? Why? Is he the son or nephew of the founder of the founding officer?
Any info on either of these two soldiers will be welcome and may help to solve the questions in point. Thanks Evyn; FS Burgher
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Two Free State battle riddles 11 years 3 months ago #7072

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
694 Colour Sergt G Wood is shown in WO100/184 page 446 as "Deceased 23rd February 1901, Enteric Fever, Vet River.

Re: Two Free State battle riddles 11 years 3 months ago #7074

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
This stone may well have been "concentrated" into Karee Station.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: Two Free State battle riddles 11 years 3 months ago #7076

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
I think Meurig is right. There is also a Karee connection (see below).

In Gildea's 'In Remembrance' (1911) the memorial stone you photographed is shown as being at Spytfontein Farm, Orange River Colony, surrounded by railings.

He is also commemorated on three other memorials:

1. Sherborne School chapel memorial, Dorset, England 'Killed in Action at Thabu N'chu 30 April 1900'

2. In Christ Church, Mozufferpore, India. The memorial is for Lumsden and two others (Daubeny and Case) "who were killed in action at Karee Siding, Orange River Colony, 30th April 1900, being members of the Behar Light Horse Contingent, serving with Lumsden's Horse in South Africa. This tablet is erected by the Behar Light Horse."

3. He is also commemorated on the Lumsden's Horse memorial in St Paul's Cathedral Calcutta.

Hope this helps and would be interested to hear your thoughts given your knowledge of the lie of the land.

Best regards,

Justin

Justin

Re: Two Free State battle riddles 11 years 3 months ago #7082

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Justin
According to The History of Lumsden's Horse, Pte. H.C. LUMSDEN was buried by the Boers; who took H.C.LUMSDEN to have been Colonel LUMSDEN due to some papers in his pockets. LH sent out a search party to look for casualties but was only able to reach the body of Major SHOWERS before becoming lost and spending the night on the veldt. The next morning, the search party found that the Boers had buried the bodies of Ptes. CASE, DAUBNEY and LUMSDEN after having read the burial service over them. A stone had been placed over the head of Pte. LUMSDEN with his name scratched on it. It would seem that the Boers later put up a cross over the grave. From a quick scan of the book in question, I cannot see any reference to Pte. H.C.LUMSDEN being a son or nephew of the Regiment's founder. I assume he was a relative. The action at Houtnek was a creditable one for LH. Many of the casualties being occasioned by assisting to help wounded comrades. Pte. H.C.LUMSDEN was a member of No.2 Section of LH; his occupation was Indigo Planter, his address being Chuckhea concern, Sewan, Saran.
Hope this is of interest.
IL.

Two Free State battle riddles 8 years 3 weeks ago #45517

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Attached hereto a picture of Tpr HC Lumsden.
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds