Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The Stanley brothers, Wildboarclough, Cheshire 10 years 2 months ago #17276

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294

Frank Kelley wrote: So what brought you up to my neck of the woods then, they also had a superb shooting lodge near Wildboarclough too, it is a fantastic part of Cheshire, very beautiful and yet rather wild too, I like it very much.
Kind regards Frank

Took the photos one Sunday early last year when I knew that I was moving from Staffordshire so I'd rented a car for a weekend. I'd headed up that way to see if Danebridge Methodist Church had a war memorial of any description inside (it hasn't) and went to see Wildboarclough church while I was in the area. Very surprised that it was open to visitors on a Sunday afternoon. I especially love the area around Flash, nice walking round there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Stanley brothers, Wildboarclough, Cheshire 7 years 5 months ago #49270

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
"Writing from the Civil Service Club, Cape Town, to Mr. F. A. Jones, of Derby-street, Ormskirk, the member for that division says:
"Dear Mr. Jones, - Only a line to let you know that my departure is once more delayed. My brother Algy, after getting much better, has now had a serious relapse. And on top of that comes news that my brother George has got enteric at Bloemfontein. I feel that it is impossible for me to leave until they are more or less out of danger. I know you will be kind enough to explain to the people at home that it is not by my wish that I am staying on in this country. I hear that the advance is going on very well, and that the Boers are supposed to be fairly on the run. We have just seen the full text of the Spion Kop despatches. They are most lamentable reading. I have been flying about all the morning, and the mail time has come upon me rather suddenly. I have certainly acquired some knowledge about the enemy and this country, but it has been somewhat dearly bought. - Yours ever, ARTHUR STANLEY."

Arthur Stanley was the third son of the 16th Earl of Derby, and was the MP for Ormskirk from 1898 to 1918..

The Stanley brothers, Wildboarclough, Cheshire 7 years 5 months ago #49271

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Quite frankly, there can be little more "lamentable" than the wretched Spion Kop affair, the whole was a complete and utter waste of time, more importantly, for those poor men, who were actually on that bloody Kop, a waste of life, Arthur Stanley was quite right in his observation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.846 seconds