Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is this General J H De La Rey's commission as Veldkornet 8 years 5 months ago #44129

• dunnboer
  • dunnboer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 363
This document has been in my possession for over 30 years. It was sold to me by a dealer in autographs as an example of Kruger's signature. It does indeed bear that signature but is I think a much more important document. In faint pencil at the top is written "Picked up in Gen de la Reys farm near Lichtenberg. June 7th 1900." I believe this to be de la Rey's original commission as Veldkornet although I have been unable to confirm that he was appointed to the Bovenhartsrivier commando and the document is undated. Am i correct? The document was accompanied by an unsigned translation bearing the crest of the Baillie or Bailey family, presumably the original looter.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is this General J H De La Rey's commission as Veldkornet 8 years 5 months ago #44135

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Fantastic Piece......

I am always impressed when you can find paper / ephemera at anytime as this this usually the first thing that is thrown away......

I know it is not the same but I remember finding a Certificate where a man was named as Consul in for Canada in China during the Civil War.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Is this General J H De La Rey's commission as Veldkornet 8 years 4 months ago #44140

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
That must be a unique relic of the Boer War, and you are very fortunate to have it. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Regards
Brett

Is this General J H De La Rey's commission as Veldkornet 7 years 11 months ago #46349

• EFV
  • Thank you received: 334
Very nice document. It is dated (1882) and was with other documents ransacked from de la Rey's private archive in his house in Lichtenburg on Thursday June 7, 1900. The event is described by Mrs. (Nonnie) de la Rey (A woman's wanderings and Trials) as follows: A week after the Boers left Lichtenburg [EFV: this was early June 1900] the [EFV:English] troops entered the village. I was then on my farm, which lies a quarter of an hour's distance outside. Seven horsemen came to the the house. Four armed men stood outside; the other three had come in and were turning everything upside down. When I was at the door one of them came towards me with the question "Whose place is this" I answered "De la Rey's""The General's? he asked. I sad "Yes'. Then he told me that I must bring my husband out of the house. I answered:"You have been inside, why don't you bring him out yourself? I cannot do so, because he is on commando". When did he go from here? he asked me. "A week since" I answered. After asking a few more questions and taking whatever he wanted he went away.....

Baille probably was the intelligence officer as he translated many of the ransacked documents. More of the documents stolen form de la Rey exist and all that I have seen have exactly the same writing at the top. Some of these documents ended up in the collection of Lady Sarah Wilson,of Mafeking fame.
De la Rey's house in Lichtenburg still exists and is well looked after by it's present owner.
Hope this helps.
EFV

Is this General J H De La Rey's commission as Veldkornet 7 years 11 months ago #46378

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
EFV
Thank you for this additional information.
Regards
Brett

Is this General J H De La Rey's commission as Veldkornet 7 years 11 months ago #46382

• dunnboer
  • dunnboer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 363
EFV

Thank you very much for the information. Where do the other documents exist now?

Regards
Paul

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.560 seconds