Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cigarette Card 7 years 3 months ago #50710

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 296
I recently got this Ogden's cigarette card of EVII awarding medals for the Boer War. I believe it is drawn from a photograph. I've no idea what a "tab" cigarette is.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cigarette Card 7 years 3 months ago #50768

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
I don't know either, but cigarettes were known as 'tabs' in Lancashire and Cheshire in the '60's ' when I were a lad'!

Just googled it- possible suggestion is that it's an abbreviation of 'tobacco', particularly in the Geordie (North East England) accent. However, since Ogdens were using it as part of their brand name I doubt it.

Patrick
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Cigarette Card 7 years 3 months ago #50769

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 296
That's most interesting. I just found this info on the web, "Ogden's Tobacco Company was an English company specializing in tobacco products. The company was founded in 1860 by Thomas Ogden who opened a small retail store in Park Lane, Liverpool. Within a small period of time, he established more branches throughtout Liverpool and then a factory on St. James Street in 1866. By 1890, Thomas Ogden had six factories in Liverpool. Then in 1901, the American Tobacco Company bought Ogden's factory for 818,000 British pounds. But in 1902, with the establishment of the Imperial Tobacco Company, Odgen's Tobacco was back in British hands. The company remained in business until the 1960's. Today, the main factory is still in good condition."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.650 seconds