• Page:

TOPIC:

Lincolns Nesbitts Horse Intelligence BSAP 9 years 8 months ago #21557

• Alan Stennett
  • Alan Stennett's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello I joined the group a little while ago, but have been concentrating on research. I am following my Grandfather, Herbert Stennett and his brother, Arthur, who were in the 2nd Volunteer battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment. Grandpa also served in Nesbitts Horse and Intelligence in the eastern Cape followed by a spell running a farm in the Matopos for the BSAP. On the site I can only find a refernce to him in Nesbitts Horse, and nothing about Arthur. There was a third brother who went out with a later group of Volunteers. I have published their letters in a book alongside the reports of David Wilkie, another member of the 2nd Volunteers, who was reporting for the Lincolnshire Echo. I would appreciate any information about any of them or some idea of what uniform Grandpa is wearing in the attached picture - assuming it has attached. Thank you

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lincolns Nesbitts Horse Intelligence BSAP 9 years 8 months ago #21668

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Alan,

I am not sure what that uniform is. It seems devoid of any marking whatsoever. Perhaps another member can suggest what it is.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Lincolns Nesbitts Horse Intelligence BSAP 9 years 8 months ago #21669

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Alan,

There are a few men called Stennett on the roll for the Lincolns.

6624 A Stennett. 2nd Vol Btn
C Stennett. 1st Vol Service Btn
F Stennett. 2nd Btn
6625 H Stennett. 2nd Vol Btn
J Stennett. 2nd Btn
T Stennett. 2nd Btn.

There are service papers for Arthur (born 1878 in Billingborough, Falkingham, Lincolnshire) and for Herbert (born 1880 in the same place) in the National Archives and on FindMyPast.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Stennett

Lincolns Nesbitts Horse Intelligence BSAP 9 years 8 months ago #21699

• Alan Stennett
  • Alan Stennett's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Those numbers match - Herbert is my grandfather. There was also an Ernest, who went out with the later Volunteers. They were not in Findmy past when I last looked, but i will have another go. I do have other photos taken in S Africa but mostly from the Intelligence or BSAF period. There is a picture of all the 2nd Volunteers gathered on the South Common in Lincoln before going overseas. Are there ways I can put them, or some of them up here?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds