• Page:

TOPIC:

Klee Brothers Seventh Contingent 9 years 3 months ago #24414

• lloydklee
  • lloydklee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My Grandfather and his two brothers joined the 7th Contingent and sailed from Wellington April 1901.
Attached photo taken in August 1902. They were at Bothasberg or Langverwacht and one of the brothers, Victor Klee, is depicted in the painting "New Zealanders saving the Maxim". I have identified all three New Zealanders in the Painting
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Klee Brothers Seventh Contingent 9 years 3 months ago #24419

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello and welcome here,
The New Zealander's sent a quite small number of men to South Africa, but, as they came from what was, in effect, a small nation, from a percentage point of view, I suppose that it can be said that the force was really quite a large one, with some of the best horses too.
A very brief look at WO100/295 shows 4309 Trooper G Klee, 4630 Trooper L Klee and 4631 Trooper V Klee, this last has a little annotation regarding his Orange Free State clasp which shows it was issued to the Commandant of New Zealand Forces on the 24th of March 1905.
Interestingly, WO100/294 also shows a certain 2484 Trooper W H Klee serving with B Squadron of the 5th New Zealand Mounted Rifles, a relation perhaps, he is also shown on the nominal roll in WO100/232.
Surviving papers are available in Archives New Zealand in Wellington and their regional offices.
Again, welcome here, regards Frank Kelley

Klee Brothers Seventh Contingent 9 years 3 months ago #24426

• lloydklee
  • lloydklee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
We do not know who WH Klee was. It is very unusual, (not a brother) as it is not a common name.
The 7th Contingent was the only contingent that did not take there own horses
I have a number of books on the Boer War that I have also recently decided to sell. An example of which is attached
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds