Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New member Introduction Hudson Taylor 9 years 1 month ago #25595

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
With over one thousand views of this particular thread, it occurred to me that there might well be some people wondering about the significance of Henk's medal in relation to this forum, so perhaps an explanation of the events of the fateful day would be in order.
To do this, we have to go back to 1877 and Theophilus Shepstone's annexation of the Transvaal.
The Boers had never agreed to this annexation of their country, whilst they were quite happy to let Great Britain give them a very high level of protection and certain parts of government, they were not happy about being a Crown Colony.
Great Britain offered the Boer a Volksraad, a parliament, of it's own, but, by 1880, it had still not been delivered.
By December, the Boers had established a triumvirate, Kruger, Joubert and Pretorious, they proclaimed a new republic and so the die was cast.
The British Government had at that time, an Administrator running the Transvaal, a certain Owen Lanyon, when the Boer proclamation arrived at Government House it gave Lanyon little choice but to either hand over office or fight.
He had already chosen the latter after informing his officers across the country to, in effect, stand to and prepare your men for a confrontation, earlier in November, but, on the 17th of December he issued a proclamation stating that the Transvaal was in open revolt against Great Britain.
His forces were all over the Transvaal and this forced him to take defensive action.
The first thing to do as far as he was concerned was to increase the central force actually in Pretoria, he had already ordered his regimental commanders to send detachments to his aid earlier in November, at Lydenburg, the 94th Regiment was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Philip Anstruther.
He had actually received the order to march on the 27th of November, but, he had no transport available, he ended up making his own arrangements, the delay was to prove fatal, the Boers had not yet openly rebelled.
Lanyon's order from Pretoria was very clear regarding transport, no more than twelve wagons, Anstruther, took thirty, it was another error!
Anstruther eventually started off for Pretoria on the 5th of December, all too late and the moment he and his force left, they were already dead men.
They were watched around the clock by the Boers who still had not rebelled.
The Boer actually sold his produce to Anstruther's men and some even came into camp in the evenings to drink with the soldiers.
Colonel Bellairs, in military command at Pretoria, sent a warning to Anstruther to send out his scouts as he had received intelligence that five hundred armed Boers had left Paarde Kraal and to expect trouble.
Sadly, Anstruther, had only four mounted scouts in his force and some natives and it appears that he did not expect the Boers to fight, Joubert had other ideas and by the time he reached Bronkhorstspruit it was suggested that he had about one thousand men to stop any British force from reaching Pretoria, I would have thought it was actually a lot less than that, perhaps even as few as one hundred and fifty or so.
On the 20th of December, Anstruther, riding at the head of his force, behind him, the 94th's proud band, playing "Kiss me, mother" behind them, one hundred and twenty soldiers, behind them, over thirty ox wagons and then, the rear guard, around another one hundred and twenty men, all unsuspecting, arrived at Bronkhorstspruit.
On the hillside, Anstruther saw the Boer horsemen, "My God, look at that!" he clapped his spurs to his horse, the band stopped playing as he charged past them, but, all too late.
Joubert, himself intercepted Anstruther before he could reach his forward troops, he gave him a written ultimatum to turn back, Anstruther told him of his orders and Joubert simply said "very good" as Anstruther galloped back to his men, the Boers , at close range opened fire, before Anstruther's men could form into skirmishing order, almost all the officers, including Anstruther himself were either killed or wounded at that very moment.
Sadly, for the recipient of Henk's medal, it was a very fateful day indeed, moreover, if he was a member of the band, he would have not been able to defend himself, they had no rifles or ammunition.
On this day, there were to be many brave acts, which, sadly went largely unrewarded, these included saving the colours of the 94th Regiment, it was a particular disgrace to "loose" the colours, which had of course been touched by the sovereign's own hand.
Matters continued until February 1881, Pretoria, under siege, continued to hold out, but, after another three engagements and the death of George Colley, Lanyon's own boss, who had over all command, the British government abandoned the Transvaal, but, for so many, this was unfinished business, that was to lead directly to the Anglo Boer War.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Henk Loots, BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member Introduction Hudson Taylor 9 years 1 month ago #25601

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Frank

Thank you for an excellent short account of what I think has been a neglected aspect of South African history, and now, with the widespread disdain for Colonial history in this country, it is likely to become further obscured. I have often thought, selfishly of course and with no consideration for David, that this site should develop a special section devoted to the "1st Anglo-Boer War"/"Transvaal Rebellion". The 'befores' and 'afters' of the "2nd Anglo-Boer War" are all part of the same story.

Regards
Brett

New member Introduction Hudson Taylor 9 years 1 month ago #25603

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Thanks again Frank.
You have put it better than I would have done

Brett
I concur with you comments.
I would suggest the following
First Boer War
Jameson Raid
1914 Rebellion

David
Your comments/actions please

Henk

New member Introduction Hudson Taylor 9 years 1 month ago #25662

• Frank Kelley
Hello Brett,
Certainly short, a miss spent childhood too, clearly, but, I was lucky enough to have had a very good history master at school, who really had been born in the wrong century, he was an ardent imperialist!
I should perhaps add, that the real significance of the 20th of December 1880 was simply that it was on this day that the Transvaal War actually started, despite Lanyon having proclaimed a state of revolt three days earlier.
The actual combat ceased almost as quickly as it had begun, the whole of Anstruther's force could certainly have been destroyed, it was a very unequal fight, Anstruther was left with, I think, some five wounds.
To his credit, he did, in time, order his men to cease fire and display anything white, a handkerchief or a helmet (on the end of a rifle!) his order was carried out.
Joubert was very prompt in his actions and his men quickly took prisoner all those who had not been wounded, he made straight for Anstruther, offered him his hand, as well as his regret.
He then asked Anstruther's mess sergeant for a glass of champagne for Anstruther and added that he should like a glass himself.
It arrived in due course (I doubt if it was chilled!) Joubert raised his glass and said "I drink to the heath of Queen Victoria and I hope her soldiers will leave the Transvaal and let us have back our Dutch Republic"
Anstruther asked Joubert if he might send a messenger to Pretoria to get a surgeon to aid his wounded men, at first Joubert was not very keen, but, he did agree in the end, to let two messengers go, on foot.
Sergeant Bradley and Conductor Egerton volunteered and left almost immediately, however, their real mission was not known to Joubert.
When the fighting had begun, both the colours were being carried as the 94th's Headquarters Company was actually present with Anstruther himself.
They had been carried by Sergeant Pears and Sergeant Maistre, as soon as Anstruther gave the order to cease fire, these two brave men tried to save them.
They ended up having to cut them off their poles and hiding them in the hospital wagon, before putting them in a tent which had been put up to assist the wounded.
Egerton, entered the tent sometime later and wrapped them around his torso before getting redressed, he carried them all day, through, the night and arrived in Pretoria the following day, after crossing a swollen river.

I salute a brave man on here today!

Kind regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank

Thank you for an excellent short account of what I think has been a neglected aspect of South African history, and now, with the widespread disdain for Colonial history in this country, it is likely to become further obscured. I have often thought, selfishly of course and with no consideration for David, that this site should develop a special section devoted to the "1st Anglo-Boer War"/"Transvaal Rebellion". The 'befores' and 'afters' of the "2nd Anglo-Boer War" are all part of the same story.

Regards
Brett

New member Introduction Hudson Taylor 9 years 1 month ago #25663

• Frank Kelley
Hello Henk,
Well it is a superb medal, today, is the eve of yet another anniversary of the final act of this campaign, from a military point of view, at least, the 27th of February was in 1881, a Sunday.
Notwithstanding, it should be made quite clear, annexation is simple theft, nothing more than that whatsoever, both the end result and the blame must lie with the British government, in fact, it lies with two of them, George Colley was an unfortunate pawn and the business in Natal, little more than a side show.

This cannot be anything more than academic, of course, by 1886 the Anglo Boer War was imminent.
Kind regards Frank

Henk Loots wrote: Thanks again Frank.

Brett
First Boer War
Jameson Raid
1914 Rebellion

David

Henk

New member Introduction Hudson Taylor 9 years 3 weeks ago #25744

• Frank Kelley
Morning David,
I agree with Henk and Brett, what do you think?
Kind regards Frank

Henk Loots wrote: Thanks again Frank.

Brett
First Boer War
Jameson Raid
1914 Rebellion

David

Henk

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.508 seconds