• Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from New Zealand 9 years 3 days ago #26854

• markvetnz
  • markvetnz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My interest stems from a general interest in history. I grew up in South Africa, went to school in Kimberley, my late uncle was a stonemason who worked on the monument at Magersfontein and my grandmother on my mother's side was held in a concentration camp as a very young child. I presume that this was in Bloemfontein. Her name was Dorotea Van Rensburg or Janse Van Rensburg. I don't even know where to start scratching up information about her. About 20 years ago I spent some time at the Ladysmith battlefield sites. I found Freddie Robert's grave at Chievely and stood where Buller would have stood to survey the land and the Tugela River ahead where the Boers were entrenched. Unfortunately the view was spoiled by numerous power lines. The price of progress, I suppose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from New Zealand 9 years 3 days ago #26858

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello markvetnz,

And a warm welcome to the forum.
Nice first post, I am sure your stories would be very interesting to fellow members.
Hope you enjoy your time here and look forward to your future posts.

Regards
Paul :)

markvetnz wrote: My interest stems from a general interest in history. I grew up in South Africa, went to school in Kimberley, my late uncle was a stonemason who worked on the monument at Magersfontein and my grandmother on my mother's side was held in a concentration camp as a very young child. I presume that this was in Bloemfontein. Her name was Dorotea Van Rensburg or Janse Van Rensburg. I don't even know where to start scratching up information about her. About 20 years ago I spent some time at the Ladysmith battlefield sites. I found Freddie Robert's grave at Chievely and stood where Buller would have stood to survey the land and the Tugela River ahead where the Boers were entrenched. Unfortunately the view was spoiled by numerous power lines. The price of progress, I suppose.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.711 seconds