Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Siege of Kimberley: QSA; Private Bertram Austin Hawkins 8 years 11 months ago #26887

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
A thank you from me too Adrian,
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tony Hawkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Siege of Kimberley: QSA; Private Bertram Austin Hawkins 8 years 11 months ago #26890

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
I don't know if it was one or two Adrians (different user names and avatars) replying to Tony's post , but I am very impressed by the amount of information supplied and the willingness to help that was shown. Thanks from me , too.

Patrick

Siege of Kimberley: QSA; Private Bertram Austin Hawkins 8 years 11 months ago #26896

• Tony Hawkins
  • Tony Hawkins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys. I am very impressed with the outstanding assistance and lightning fast responses. I should have known about this site before losing more of my hair. Thank you all once more

Tony

Siege of Kimberley: QSA; Private Bertram Austin Hawkins 8 years 11 months ago #26911

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Tony,

I don't very much of the people who worked in the concentration camps, who they were, where they came from, what they did.

Can I ask how you know that Betram may have served at a camp?

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

Siege of Kimberley: QSA; Private Bertram Austin Hawkins 8 years 11 months ago #26920

• Tony Hawkins
  • Tony Hawkins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi David. I answered your inquiry per e-mail (oops, maybe a mistake) but here is my answer, plus more. My farther (who passed in 1975) was the eldest son of Bertram Austin Hawkins, and was named after him. At some stage during my youth I was told that my grandfather was, at some stage, a guard at the Koffiefontein camp. Whilst there he met, and became romantically involved with my grandmother, who was interned with her mother. Where they came from, I do not know. Needless to say, to two got married at a later stage. Sorry that I cannot give you any further info on this but I think that this type of topic needs more research. This I leave up to you boffins.

Tony

Siege of Kimberley: QSA; Private Bertram Austin Hawkins 8 years 11 months ago #26930

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Tony,

It is nice to hear positive stories coming from the concentration camps as the dominant narrative is normally quite bleak and distressing.

I don't know if any records exist for the staff in camps. Does anyone know of any such records?
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.491 seconds