Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Elswick Battery 8 years 8 months ago #42118

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Afternoon......

And Welcome to the forum.....

It seems that your G.G. Grandfather did not have an official citation......

This did happen more that it did not, meaning there were a lot more with out citations than with......

During the Boer War there was a large number of these issued for Service / Conduct rather than for Gallantry.....

He is not listed as receiving a Mention-in-Despatches either so I have a feeling that his medal was for Service / Conduct.....

The best place to look is a regimental history if there is one..... Or his full service documents from the National Archives as there may be a notation there......

Now I may be wrong and it is for Gallantry and I hope that I am.......

Best wishes and again welcome......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Elswick Battery 5 years 2 months ago #62034

• Pmoore1892
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I've just come across your post as I am researching my family tree and my great grandfather, Robert Moore, was with the Elswick Battery in South Africa during the Anglo Boer War. After the war he stayed in SA and joined the Transvaal police. He stayed there for a number of years before returning to the UK. I would be most interested in any information you have and would love to see a photograph of the rock you refer to in your post. Kind regards, Paul Moore

Elswick Battery 5 years 2 months ago #62052

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi
Details of Howarth's Mention in Despatches :

LG 10/09/1901 p5966 Roberts : up to end Nov 1900 Volunteers

Henk

Elswick Battery 2 months 3 weeks ago #93490

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1902
This silk souvenir was presumably produced on the return of the Elswick Battery to Newcastle.

It is useful in that it includes a nominal roll, recording rank, full name and number.

The only surviving gun from the Elswick Battery. The remainder, which had been part of Lord Roberts's private collection at Englemere House, were smelted as part of the war effort during WWII (June 1940). Courtesy of the National Army Museum, London. NAM. 1991-11-42-1

Nottingham Evening Post, 16th February 1906

LORD ROBERTS’S WAR TROPHIES

At the present time there are in the Ordnance Department at Woolwich Arsenal a number of war trophies belonging to Lord Roberts which are of great historical interest. They are undergoing repair before being removed to Lord Roberts’s new country mansion [Englemere] at Ascot. The trophies include two 9-pounder guns, with carriages and limbers, captured from E Battery, R.H.A., and recaptured by Lord Roberts at Kandahar in 1880; one 15-pounder B.L. gun, with carriage and limber, formerly belonging to the ill-fated 66th Battery, R.F.A.; and one of the guns in trying to save which from the Boers Lieutenant Roberts lost his life; one Krupp gun, carriage, and limber taken at the time General Cronje surrendered; the “Long Tom” from Ladysmith; a full battery of 12-pounder 12cwt guns, presented to the country by Lady Meux during the South African war [the Elswick Battery]; one bronze gun and carriage, dated 1596, engraved with the names of Phillip II of Spain and his Captain-General of Artillery; and four small brass cannons.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, Moranthorse1

Elswick Battery 2 months 3 weeks ago #93498

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Thank you for this Neville - it is interest to me on two counts - I have the medals (ABW/WWI/WWII) to 7217 Gunner Robert White and a letter written in his regard by Josiah Wedgwood. Both feature on your silk souvenir. See copies of the letter below

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Elswick Battery 2 months 3 weeks ago #93499

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
For information purposes only. From my collection:

352 – 7066 Driver Devlin (Develin), Charles William, Northumberland Volunteer
Artillery, The Elswick Battery
502 – 7247 Gunner Standfast, James Percy, Northumberland Volunteer Artillery, The Elswick Battery
624 – 7148 Driver / Shoeing Smith Mortimer, Thomas, Northumberland Volunteer Artillery, The Elswick Battery

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.328 seconds