Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New to the forum from Wales 8 years 7 months ago #42948

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Jerry,
And a warm welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time here.

Regards
Paul :)

JerryBB wrote: As per the request a short introduction to me and why I have joined the ABW forum. I have been studying military history and collecting various military items for many years and recently purchased my first Boer war medal and I followed a link to this forum whilst researching the subject. I think some will know me from a few other forums on which I am active, to a greater or lesser extent. My late father served in the British army in the 1930s and through WWII into the 1950's and it is from this that my interest in military history and the items associated with it stems from. In regards to the Boer war, I am a relative novice but I tend to be a quick learner and I am currently reading Pakenhams The Boer War.

Regards,

Jerry BB.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to the forum from Wales 8 years 7 months ago #42951

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

JerryBB wrote:

QSAMIKE wrote: Welcome Jerry I hope that you will find the forum a pleasure like we all do.....

Don't take Pekenham's to much to heart.

Mike

Thanks to all for the welcome.

Mike, is there one book on the subject that could be recommended as the best?

Regards,

Jerry BB

Hi Jerry......

That is what they say is the $64,000 Dollar Question...... (or do they still say that).......

There are many many good books out there but each one has it's own point of view.......

Pro Boer and Bash the British, or Pro British and Bash the Boer...... The best thing that I can suggest is to read several and make up your own opinion.....

I suggest you look at this thread......

angloboerwar.com/forum/13-miscellany/342...dations?limitstart=0

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

New to the forum from Wales 8 years 7 months ago #43111

• absentminded beggar
  • Thank you received: 11
Mr JerryBB, Sir ...

Don't know how far your teeth have got into Tommy P's magnum opus - do agree with QSAMIKE every author will understandably flavour their offering varied according to their perspective & taste.

If you are not wanting too much depth at this stage you might enjoy Michael Barthorp's "The Anglo-Boer Wars" - interesting because it deals with both Boer-Brit military disputes, with information on the dramatis personae, battles, uniforms & weaponry plus nice pictures.

A nice straightforward coverage in basic statistical terms is provided by Dr Conan Doyle in "The Great Boer War".

Have fun.
amb
"The greatness of a nation consists not so much in the number of it's people or the extent of it's territory as in the extent and justice of its compassion"

New to the forum from Wales 8 years 7 months ago #43112

• JerryBB
  • JerryBB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3

absentminded beggar wrote: Mr JerryBB, Sir ...

Don't know how far your teeth have got into Tommy P's magnum opus - do agree with QSAMIKE every author will understandably flavour their offering varied according to their perspective & taste.

If you are not wanting too much depth at this stage you might enjoy Michael Barthorp's "The Anglo-Boer Wars" - interesting because it deals with both Boer-Brit military disputes, with information on the dramatis personae, battles, uniforms & weaponry plus nice pictures.

A nice straightforward coverage in basic statistical terms is provided by Dr Conan Doyle in "The Great Boer War".

Have fun.
amb

I had a quick look a recoiled a bit from the bulk of it. Thanks for pointing out a couple of books as that will help me without having buy loads to find out if they suit my needs or not.

Thanks, it is much appreciated.

Jerry

New to the forum from Wales 8 years 7 months ago #43115

• absentminded beggar
  • Thank you received: 11
You probably have already checked - CD's complete history is in 'BOOKS' section of this website of course.

amb
"The greatness of a nation consists not so much in the number of it's people or the extent of it's territory as in the extent and justice of its compassion"
The following user(s) said Thank You: JerryBB

New to the forum from Wales 8 years 7 months ago #43125

• JerryBB
  • JerryBB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
I had noticed it there. I read a little and it seems a good read so I might buy a hard copy as I prefer to read my books in the hand.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.433 seconds