Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

South African Constabulary 8 years 1 month ago #45169

• Jonkimrobb
  • Jonkimrobb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Help required as we are trying to trace a member of the SAC around 1901, I was on the South African Archives website and searching but keep being cut off! We think this person was Private and we have a number but can get no further. Any ideas where to look, would prefer, if possible, a free site but as a last resource would pay. As the person was a British citizen are there any UK sites?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

South African Constabulary 8 years 1 month ago #45170

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Please advise his full names

Regards

Rory

South African Constabulary 8 years 1 month ago #45171

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 241
Hi

What is the name, then we can look for you.

Regards

South African Constabulary 8 years 1 month ago #45172

• Jonkimrobb
  • Jonkimrobb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
F E Moore and I know that he was killed in 1901

South African Constabulary 8 years 1 month ago #45173

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 241
Hi

F E Moore, Killed in action at Holfontein on 5/10/1901 A Division SAC (From Palmer Casualty Roll)

Then from SA National Archives:

DEPOT TAB
SR/SN 000/00
SOURCE GOV
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 8
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE GEN 385/01
PART 1
DESCRIPTION THE LATE FE MOORE
STARTING 19011207
ENDING 19011207
REMARKS INCOMING DESPATCHES
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonkimrobb

South African Constabulary 8 years 1 month ago #45415

• Aud
  • Thank you received: 16
Hello from South Africa
I am new to the Forum but will already be known to some members.
I am a researcher in South Africa on all matters relating to military, police and genealogy.

I have seen several mentions of the South African Constabulary on the forum and thought it might help if I let members know what is available here in South Africa. There are service files for most of these men. For the men who served in the Orange Free State, in the branch of the SAC known as the Free State Police, their files are kept in the Bloemfontein archives. For all other members of the SAC, their files are kept in the Pretoria National Archives. I am giving an example below of the reference to the file for Felix Edward Moore which is in the Pretoria National Archives.

DEPOT TAB
SOURCE SAC
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 160
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE A381
PART 1
DESCRIPTION RECORD OF CONDUCT AND SERVICE. FELIX EDWARD MOORE.
STARTING 1901
ENDING 1901

These files can vary from a few documents to as many as 50 or more and usually include the original recruitment form completed in the country in which the man was first recruited, the attestation document completed when he arrived in SA, details of any re-engagement, promotions, leave, and discharge documents. Although there isn't usually a great deal of detailed information on what these men did during their service, the documents usually have some useful detail. I have access to all these files and can provide photos of the documents. Unfortunately, the archives don't offer a research service.

If the man stayed in South Africa, and died here, his deceased estate file is usually available. See the reference below for Felix Edward Moore. For men who died in these earlier years, there may not be more than just a Death Notice in the file. Later files can include Death Notice, copy of Will and Final Liquidation Documents. There isn't usually anything military in these files.

DEPOT TAB
SOURCE MHG
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 0
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE O/18279
PART 1
DESCRIPTION MOORE, FELIX EDWARD.
STARTING 19010000
ENDING 19010000

I am not trying to use this as an advertising forum but I thought members might be interested to know that we are busy putting together an SAC publication which will include a casualty roll giving names, service numbers, date of death, details of graves and cemeteries, gallantry badge, list of officers, members of the Farmer's Guard, MIDs, decorations, etc. etc. There will also be a section on actions in which these men took part. There are over 1000 names included.

I hope the above is of interest. If anyone would like further information on anything regarding the SAC, my email address is [email protected].
Audrey (Portman, Mrs)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Brentnall, pope1777

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds