• Page:

TOPIC:

Edward 'Teddie' Jollie in the BSAP at Mafeking 7 years 9 months ago #47298

• nigelr
  • nigelr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
This is a second letter from Sergeant-Major Edward Jollie of the British South Africa Police (written prior to the longer account he wrote of his experiences during the siege of Mafeking.

MAFEKING, B.S.A.B., [sic]
BECHUANALAND, SEPT. 3RD, 1899
Just a few lines to let you know how I am getting on. You will be pleased to hear I am now a full-blown sergt.-major. It was in orders about ten days ago and dated back to the day I first took over this paymaster’s job. I am now the proud possessor of four gorgeous stripes on my right arm. I have a room to myself and sojourn down in the sergeants’ mess, hobnobbing with the other P.M.’s, whom I had to treat with great respect before I rose to this exalted position. I really must summon up sufficient energy one of these days to photograph myself in all my panoply of stripes &c. I have been extremely busy for the last week, it being the end of one and the beginning of another month. We got through pay-day all right, and I sent off all the out-station cheques yesterday, so have got rid of them. My boss, Captain Greener, was good enough to say that so far I had managed very well, whereat I felt gratified.
One of our men deserted the other day, but was caught and brought back. He was tried by a board of officers and got 156 days in prison. Another trooper some time ago struck a corporal and got 122 days in gaol. He came out the other day, and hoping to get his discharge he refused to obey an order. Instead of his discharge he got another 56 days in prison, whereat he was considerably sold. They certainly are pretty strict in this corps, and rightly so at the present time when everything is so unsettled.
October 8th. – There are great preparations for war, which everyone seems to think is inevitable. They have recalled about 30 of our men from out-stations, and we are now very busy drilling with the seven pounder marine guns, &c.
The volunteers have been called out and all the able-bodied men in Mafeking enrolled as special constables. We have had several false alarms, when we had to turn out armed and mounted. The alarms are so frequent that we have all been to bed with our clothes on for the last two nights so as to be ready with our arms beside us. All the women and children have been ordered out of Mafeking, and earthworks have been thrown up round the town. To get the men used to the country we have had several sham fights. The Protectorate Regiment got up by Colonel Baden-Powell is here about 500 strong. Altogether with volunteers, police, &c., we are about 800 strong. None of us are allowed to leave camp in case there should be an alarm. Oh! I think we are going to have an exciting time. We had a sham fight this morning – turned out at six in the morning and got back to camp at 2.30 p.m., and jolly hungry too. Hope there will be no alarms to-night as I feel I could sleep for a week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, niko88

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Edward 'Teddie' Jollie in the BSAP at Mafeking 2 years 9 months ago #77362

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Nigelr,

I am currently compiling biographies of the men who served during the siege.

This is what I have so far on Edward Jollie. Are you able to add any more to this please?

Born in Christchurch, New Zealand, 26 October 1871, son of Edward Jollie JP and Caroline Armstrong Orsmond. Educated at the Wanganui Collegiate School. A member of the Hawera Mounted Rifles Brigade in 1892.Enlisted in the BSAP. Assistant Paymaster to Capt Greener during the siege. He helped in the printing of siege notes. Also served BeR (not traced on rolls). Freemason of the Austral Lodge, Mafeking, 18 March 1900. He married Frances Elizabeth Chambers in 1903 (she died in 1907) and, later, Sarah Elizabeth Stansfield, both in New Zealand. He lived in Westown, New Plymouth, New Zealand. During the Great War he served with the New Zealand Reserves. He died 17 April 1925 in New Plymouth, New Zealand after a collision with a motor vehicle while riding a bicycle. Employed by the New Plymouth City Council at the time of his death

QSA (2) DoM Tr

I see you have pictures of him and Rupert Hosking in your book 'Our first foreign war'. Can you tell me the source of these please?

Thank you
David
Dr David Biggins

Edward 'Teddie' Jollie in the BSAP at Mafeking 2 years 9 months ago #77418

• nigelr
  • nigelr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi David,

I emailed you using my gmail account (i.e. [email protected]) but haven't received a response. Can you please reply to my gmail address?

Regards,
Nigel

Edward 'Teddie' Jollie in the BSAP at Mafeking 2 years 9 months ago #77419

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Thanks you, Nigel, I have just replied to you.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.551 seconds