• Page:

TOPIC:

M J Middleton 7 years 5 months ago #49302

• middleton
  • middleton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Starting to research my wife's grandfather Michael James Middleton b Jan 1883 Exton, Somerset. All his military medals were stolen and although we have his WW1 details nothing for Boer War which we know he was in. We have a note that he was serving under KO Yorkshire and Duke of Cornwall LI as private number 3120. But we know he was in the Somerset Light Infantry for WW1 and we recall he had clasps on one or both of the Queen's or King's medals; we think he had both but not sure if his age matches this. Grateful for a pointer to where I can find Boer War service details?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

M J Middleton 7 years 5 months ago #49303

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1537
Middleton
Firstly, welcome to the forum. Secondly, I had a quick look on Brit. National Archives medal roll WO100/194 page 66 of 2/KOYLI and "3120 Pte. M.J.Middleton" was entitled to clasps "Cape Colony", "Transvaal" and "Wittebergen" on his QSA medal.
There is a summary of the Regiment's activities in Stirling's "Our Regiments in South Africa" (which may be accessed in the "books" section of this site). I had a quick trawl through the KSA rolls - but did not find him.
Another forum member who is better at this than myself may be able to help? Alternatively, you might engage a professional researcher to check for any papers relevant to Pte. M.J.Middleton.
Good luck with your research!
IL.

M J Middleton 7 years 5 months ago #49306

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
3120 MATTHEW Middleton, a twenty year old farm labourer from Rotherham, joined the Kings Own Yorkshire LI on the 21st of March 1890 at Pontefract, he gave his next of kin as his brother William, who was a serving member of the Royal Artillery, Matthew Middleton died in 1942.

middleton wrote: Starting to research my wife's grandfather Michael James Middleton b Jan 1883 Exton, Somerset. All his military medals were stolen and although we have his WW1 details nothing for Boer War which we know he was in. We have a note that he was serving under KO Yorkshire and Duke of Cornwall LI as private number 3120. But we know he was in the Somerset Light Infantry for WW1 and we recall he had clasps on one or both of the Queen's or King's medals; we think he had both but not sure if his age matches this. Grateful for a pointer to where I can find Boer War service details?

M J Middleton 7 years 5 months ago #49311

• middleton
  • middleton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Many thanks for responses. Obviously my MJ Middleton is not the one in KOYLI. We definitely remember at least one and probably both of the BW medals, and thought originally he was in fact with Somerset LI so the refs to other regiments appear to have been misleading us. Are the BW medal rolls freely available somewhere for research or do I need to pay to go through National Archives?

M J Middleton 7 years 5 months ago #49313

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It is unwise to make assumptions based on a set of initials and surname, do you actually know his full name, his date and place of birth, is correct, because, if you do not, you are going to struggle.
Do you know if the medals you mention were actually his, i.e. were they awarded to him and were they correctly named?
He would certainly not have served in the two regiments you mentioned with that number at the same point in time, the rolls in WO100 will not provide the information you need, a brief look suggests no man with that name served in the latter regiments in South Africa during the Anglo Boer War.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.412 seconds