Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

5th Lancers 7 years 3 months ago #51337

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 245
Simon - Great photo with excellent clarity.

If you're going to the NA to dig out Arthur's file I suggest you take along a digital camera and then download the photos onto a CD-ROM. Whatever you do, don't think of photocopying it. It will take you all day, cost a fortune and result in the destruction of a large tract of rain forest!

Regards

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5th Lancers 7 years 3 months ago #51338

• Simon A
  • Simon A's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks David

Yes, I will be taking my camera

Simon

5th Lancers 7 years 3 months ago #51349

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
What a magnificent image, everyone wearing their best for the photographer, there is something about this particular regiment, speaking as an Irishman, they were, after all, the "Royal Irish" lancers, although, of course, in reality, precious few were actually Irish, moreover, I see he was actually a pre war serving member of the regiment too, none better, they frequently gave those Delhi Spearmen a run for their money.
Superb!

Simon A wrote: Thank you very much for the information you have supplied. I am really excited about the existence of his pension file at the National Archives. I shall certainly be paying a visit.

This is, I believe, a picture of Arthur. He is the man standing on the left. It was taken in about 1908 and included my Grandfather aged 9, his three sisters, my Great Grandfather and Grandmother and my Great Great Grandparents (Parents of my Great Grandmother).

Thanks again

Simon

5th Lancers 7 years 2 months ago #51648

• Simon A
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks to Davidh I took an afternoon off work and went to the national archives for a copy of his war pension.

I was very excited to discover that in May 1900 he was part of ā€œDā€ squadron 5th Lancers and came off his horse whilst training new horses and was concussed. He was unconscious for four days and was invalided out as a result. See attached for a summary of the event.

5th Lancers 7 years 2 months ago #51649

• Simon A
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
With regard to the attached I am able to read part of the second page but am not able to make complete sense of the whole paragraph for points 11, 14 and 18. I would be grateful if someone could transcribe it for me.

Are they saying that the after effect of the concussion he suffered from falling off his horse is aggravated by the hardships of the siege at Ladysmith which was before his accident?

Any replies much appreciated.

Simon

5th Lancers 7 years 2 months ago #51650

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Pictures....

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.040 seconds