• Page:

TOPIC:

Charles Hull and the Royal Berkshires 7 years 2 months ago #51498

• Greenginger
  • Greenginger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello. We know my grandfather in law Charles Hull served in South Africa during the Boer War Royal Berkshire Regiment no 10227 attested in 1894 , and actually got married as a Sergeant in Grahamstown in 04 Feb 1899. We would love to know any more detail about his military career and also how he might have met his bride Janet Grey and how she got out there to join him. Wondering if she might have been a nurse but no evidence, and she was probably just a female servant in a London household in 1891. How could they have got women out there to get married.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles Hull and the Royal Warwickshires 7 years 2 months ago #51499

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Welcome to the Forum, Greenginger,

There is a 4251 Sgt Charles Hull on the 2nd Berkshires roll (not Warwickshires). Is that your ggf?. That number you have may have been for Great War service as it is too large for most line regiments during the Boer War.

This man was invalided to England having earned the clasps CC, OFS and Tr. WO100/193p287 refers.

There are service papers for him available to the National Archives or online at FindMyPast.

As his marriage date preceded the start of the War, I guess she could have travelled out to SA under her own steam, so to speak?

The 2nd Battalion was in Cape Colony when the war commenced but I cannot find a date when they were posted there.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Charles Hull and the Royal Berkshires 7 years 2 months ago #51500

• Greenginger
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you David. Yes that will be him. He rejoined for WW1 in the Royal Warwickshires and I was getting mixed up. He was from Winkfield Berkshire and she was from Scotland working at a solicitors in London 1891 so we are just trying to work out how they might have met. He attested 3rd Batt Royal Berkshire Regt Militia in Feb 1894 for 12 years, and was described as Sergeant, Command Det, 2 Royal Berks Regt when he got married. . We didn't know he had gained any awards in SA so that is new, nor about being invalided home. Maybe there is some new stuff on FMP since I last looked so I will check again.
Many thanks

Charles Hull and the Royal Berkshires 7 years 2 months ago #51501

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Greenginger,

It may be his militia papers which are on record? They state he was from East Hampstead, Windsor, Berkshire.
Dr David Biggins

Charles Hull and the Royal Berkshires 7 years 2 months ago #51502

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I see he died during the Great War

Charles Hull born East Hampstead Berkshire resident Salford, enlisted Manchester, Sergeant Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Died 24/5/16
CWG Khartoum War Cemetery
Age 46 son of David and Eliza Street Hull of Cranbourne Berkshire, husband of Janet Hull of 43 Gold St Pendleton

Read more: salfordwarmemorials.proboards.com/thread...page=8#ixzz4WFKg2rKd
Dr David Biggins

Charles Hull and the Royal Berkshires 7 years 2 months ago #51511

• Greenginger
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for this. Yes I knew about these details but not about the website which will be useful for others. His death wasn't very dramatic in that he died of heat exhaustion whilst on Garrison duties according to his death certificate . On the other hand in that temperature to a man from the smoky old town of Salford it must have been quite a shock to the system and wouldn't have suited me either.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.646 seconds