Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello, and a little investigation (Ceylon Mounted Infantry) 7 years 2 months ago #52039

• Paul Supramaniam
  • Paul Supramaniam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,

Two of my GG uncles (brothers) were part of the Ceylon Mounted Infantry. I've managed to figure out that they must have been part of the Second Contingent (numbering 103 troops, sent on the 23rd April 1902), as they were both Ceylonese Tamil ‐ the first contingent had no local Ceylonese it its ranks.

Unfortunately, our family has no knowledge of their names (surnames or forenames), but I was wondering whether anyone here would have any information that would detail say perhaps the races of the men in the Second Contingent, thus making them easier to find with a bit of educated guesswork ‐ two brothers with Ceylonese sounding names would hopefully not be too tricky!

Any help would be thoroughly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello, and a little investigation (Ceylon Mounted Infantry) 7 years 2 months ago #52040

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
Dear Paul

I have gone through the medal rolls for the second contingent and, without exception, only names of European origin are listed as recipients of the Queen's medal. This is not to say that your relatives were not among them - it's just that they were probably classed as natives who received the Queens medal in bronze. I would not know where to find these rolls.

Regards

Rory

Hello, and a little investigation (Ceylon Mounted Infantry) 7 years 2 months ago #52041

• Paul Supramaniam
  • Paul Supramaniam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear Rory,

Thank you so much for the prompt response!

There may be a possibility that they had Anglicised names (as Christian converts).

Would there be any possibility of you sending the medal roll for the second contingent to me at [email protected]?

Could I also confirm that it was only the second contingent that had natives in their ranks, and that there were definitely none in the first?

Are there any other lists apart from medal rolls for the Ceylonese Mounted Infantry (passenger lists...etc?)

I did find a reference you made to an article published in the "Times of Ceylon" on page 5 of the 21 April 1902 edition, which lists the 98 men who were part of the 2nd Ceylon Contingent, in a post on Adolph Carl Theobold Meyer - ( www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...boer-war-a-c-t-meyer )

Is there anywhere where I could possibly purchase one of theses bronze medals?

Once again thanks for the help.

Best wishes,
Paul

Hello, and a little investigation (Ceylon Mounted Infantry) 7 years 2 months ago #52043

• David Grant
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 315
Nice topic and pushed me on a bit of a tangent this morning. May I ask what evidence you have that your Great-great uncles served in South Africa?
I checked the rolls and under Saddlers et al there are a few Anglicised names and a Khandar Beg. All silver medals . Looking forward to reading more
ATB David

Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:

Hello, and a little investigation (Ceylon Mounted Infantry) 7 years 1 month ago #52044

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Did the 2nd contingent arrive in South Africa after the war had ended and therefor not entitled to any medals.......?????

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/in...lon-mounted-infantry

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Hello, and a little investigation (Ceylon Mounted Infantry) 7 years 1 month ago #52045

• David Grant
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 315

QSAMIKE wrote: Did the 2nd contingent arrive in South Africa after the war had ended and therefor not entitled to any medals.......?????

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/in...lon-mounted-infantry

Mike

Was the CVC of the Gloucestershire Regiment the second contingent? If so the medal roll is at WO 100/183 starting at page 536
Pairs of names

7727 Edwards O.S
7726 Edwards W.
7563 Hawke L.A.
7554 Hawke L.P
7580 McMahon M.
7585 MacMahon M.
7549 Ryan P.
7546 Ryan V.J.
7533 Vernede A.V.E.
7530 Vernede F.S.E.

As an aside one "Cinhalose" B.D.Romanis got a bronze medal. Romanis derivative of Romany or dark skinned Gypsys originating ultimately from Sanskrit domba man of a low caste musicians
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.745 seconds