• Page:

TOPIC:

Did this man go to South Africa in 1900? 7 years 1 month ago #52155

• bondgt
  • bondgt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am hoping that someone here may be able to help with a little mystery within my family.

My Great Grandfather was born in 1879 and died in 1948. I am in possession of a diary and letters written by him from 1915 to 1919. He volunteered for service and was posted to India. So I decided to look up his service records.

Now here is the mystery: I found part of his records for the service from 1915 to 1919, unfortunately most of the paperwork was destroyed in the infamous fire that destroyed many records. However, I also found a record of his having joined the RHA in June 1900 and discharged in March 1901. I know the 1901 record is him as it lists next of kin details and address details that are correct.

So why did he enrol and only serve for a short time? Recently I found an entry on a website detailing the diary of a man who enlisted in early 1900 in the City Imperial Volunteers and served in the Anglo Boer war until October of the same year when I believe he was discharged. Could this have happened with my Great G father?

My Great G father was Samuel Henry Rudd, his service number was 10563. I can see no mention of his posting on the records.

I trust that someone can help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Did this man go to South Africa in 1900? 7 years 1 month ago #52156

• trooper922
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi

There is no medal entitlement for him for the boer war and he seems to of had a free discharge in 1901. So unfortunately no service in South Africa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Did this man go to South Africa in 1900? 7 years 1 month ago #52158

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
No he did not serve in South Africa, during the Anglo Boer War, his Home Service is very clearly shown in WO97.

bondgt wrote: I am hoping that someone here may be able to help with a little mystery within my family.

My Great Grandfather was born in 1879 and died in 1948. I am in possession of a diary and letters written by him from 1915 to 1919. He volunteered for service and was posted to India. So I decided to look up his service records.

Now here is the mystery: I found part of his records for the service from 1915 to 1919, unfortunately most of the paperwork was destroyed in the infamous fire that destroyed many records. However, I also found a record of his having joined the RHA in June 1900 and discharged in March 1901. I know the 1901 record is him as it lists next of kin details and address details that are correct.

So why did he enrol and only serve for a short time? Recently I found an entry on a website detailing the diary of a man who enlisted in early 1900 in the City Imperial Volunteers and served in the Anglo Boer war until October of the same year when I believe he was discharged. Could this have happened with my Great G father?

My Great G father was Samuel Henry Rudd, his service number was 10563. I can see no mention of his posting on the records.

I trust that someone can help.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Did this man go to South Africa in 1900? 7 years 1 month ago #52186

• bondgt
  • bondgt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for your help with this. The search continues....

Did this man go to South Africa in 1900? 7 years 1 month ago #52188

• jonny b
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
My great uncle E R watts went to south Africa i have a photo of him in uniform and some south African coins 2/6 Florin etc and also his sword , i remember seeing him when i was very young he showed me his wound in his leg ,i think he said by a mortar . story goes that he was a scout for lord Mathuen ? i am trying to find anything about his service , all i can find is ER Watts Imperial Yeomanry 40 Coy 10th Batt no 8030 Private in QSA medal rolls , but i can't find anything else
Can anyone help
John Burton

Did this man go to South Africa in 1900? 7 years 1 month ago #52189

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hello John......

F.M.P. Confirms what you have found.......

First name(s) E R
Last name Watts
Service number 8030
Rank Private
Regiment 40 (Oxfordshire) Company 10 Battalion Imperial Yeomanry
Rolls WO100/124
Notes [The National Archives WO128. Imperial Yeomanry, Soldiers' Documents, South African War.].
The Queen's South Africa (QSA) Medal Clasps: Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901
Event detail Wounded Severely on 16/02/1901 at Hartebeestefontein
Event unit 40 (Oxfordshire) Company 10 Battalion Imperial Yeomanry

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds