Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1st Batt. Royal Scots 7 years 1 month ago #52469

• ianbrentnall
  • ianbrentnall's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13
A friend on mine's Great Grandfather served in the Boer War Pte F. Bramhill (4742). In the archives WO 100/166 he is entitled to a QSA having arrived from India on 1st Feb 1902. On the KSA archive record page 118 it shows that he has already had an entitlement to the QSA but is also entiled to the KSA with an SA 1902 clasp but also that he is entitled to the Transvaal clasp that was not previously awarded. My question is simple: does it go on the QSA or the KSA as seems to be indicated?

Thanks in advance
Ian B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1st Batt. Royal Scots 7 years 1 month ago #52470

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Francis Bramhill was very clearly not entitled to the KSA having only come down to South Africa on the 2nd of March 1902, his medal and both clasps are shown in WO97, moreover, page 118 of WO100/166 is not a KSA roll, it is the supplementary volume of their QSA roll.

1st Batt. Royal Scots 7 years 1 month ago #52471

• ianbrentnall
Thanks Frank, so let me understand this correctly as I want to give the right information to my friend.

He's entitled to a QSA with the clasps Transvaal and SA 1902.

The supplementary roll also states that although he was originally entitled to a KSA (SA 1902) and a Transvaal clasp, this was returned in 1908 - I'm assuming the regiment undertakes this?

Regards
Ian

1st Batt. Royal Scots 7 years 1 month ago #52473

• Frank Kelley
Could you tell me where exactly his entitlement to the KSA in shown, WO100/166 page 118 is for the QSA only with both Transvaal and South Africa 1902 clasps.
He was discharged in 1905 and his medal and clasps are confirmed in WO97 and certified correct, it appears a little odd to me, if he had not actually received it, but, it is certainly possible.

ianbrentnall wrote: Thanks Frank, so let me understand this correctly as I want to give the right information to my friend.

He's entitled to a QSA with the clasps Transvaal and SA 1902.

The supplementary roll also states that although he was originally entitled to a KSA (SA 1902) and a Transvaal clasp, this was returned in 1908 - I'm assuming the regiment undertakes this?

Regards
Ian

1st Batt. Royal Scots 7 years 1 month ago #52479

• ianbrentnall
Hi Frank, You are absolutely right - he was not entitled to the KSA - I need stronger glasses! So just a QSA with Transvaal & SA 1902 clasps. Thanks for your assistance.

1st Batt. Royal Scots 7 years 1 month ago #52480

• Frank Kelley
His entitlement is very clear, both on the roll and on his service papers, but, interestingly, he was discharged from the Section D reserve as late as August 1909, he had enlisted within it in 1905 and his medal and clasps are not shown on these papers, it suggests the medal was still not issued at that point in time, as does the roll from which entitlement is taken, so reading your original post, I take it your friend does not have his medal?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.968 seconds