Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pte 547 later Cpl E B Phillips Durban Light Infantry 7 years 3 months ago #51152

• wades
  • wades's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
The attached photo was taken on his return to the UK in 1901. My query is the "style" of uniform for someone in an infantry unit. He appears to have spurs and either swagger stick or crop. A letter he sent home published in a local paper at the time, 1899, is also attached. Another article in the papers says he was to receive clasps Transvaal and Relief of Ladysmith. Any help in resolving uniform would be appreciated.

Thanks

JT
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte 547 later Cpl E B Phillips Durban Light Infantry 7 years 3 months ago #51188

• RoyS
  • Thank you received: 18
Hello,

Firstly, what a splendid photograph.

I'm sure the more knowledgable members will be able to help. But a couple of comments in the mean time. No self respecting soldier would be without a swagger stick during this time period, so not surprised he has one. In regards 'Infantry', would he be Mounted Infantry ?

From my limited knowledge of the Anglo Boer War, I understand that due to the circumstances there were many and infantry unit modified to a mounted role to meet the needs of the time.

Cheerio,

Roy

Collecting/wanted ABW insignia if anyone has some spares?

My website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

Pte 547 later Cpl E B Phillips Durban Light Infantry 7 years 3 months ago #51191

• wades
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Roy,

Thank you for your response. I have no knowledge of this period, I am ashamed to say, but hope to learn via this impressive site.

One more piece of information is that on the 1901 UK Census his occupation was stated as"late Natal Police".

Thanks again,

Jon

Pte 547 later Cpl E B Phillips Durban Light Infantry 7 years 3 months ago #51194

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Wades
Thanks for posting that excellent photo. It is interesting to read that he was on The Armoured Train with the Durban L.I.
The pic shows the subject wearing the Stohwasser leggings (leather with buckled straps); worn by mounted officers in the Boer War and - I think in WW1 also. Happy to be corrected in that. Pics elsewhere of OR's in the Mounted units in SA show them wearing puttees. The pic also shows "something" on his epaulettes; likely the "star" or "stars" indicating commissioned rank.
The bandolier worn appears to be of rather unusual type; apparently cotton - but not the notorious early "disposable" type.
If he did have subsequent service in the Natal Police, perhaps one of the Forum with that interest might help?
A very well-turned out Gentleman. I regret I cannot add any more.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wades

Pte 547 later Cpl E B Phillips Durban Light Infantry 7 years 3 months ago #51198

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
I did not find E B Phillips on the roll made from the Enlistment Register of the Natal Police.
Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: wades

Pte 547 later Cpl E B Phillips Durban Light Infantry 7 years 2 months ago #51627

• wades
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Some more detail concerning E B Phillips. A newspaper article dated 18th Jan 1901 reveals that he was already in S. Africa when he joined the Durban L I in the early part of 1898, would his attestation papers be held there? Also he says he joined the "Police Force" after the DLI was disbanded in October 1900 but resigned from this prior to his return to England in December 1900, might there be a record of this later service?

Thanks for any assistance.

JT.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.408 seconds