• Page:

TOPIC:

New forum sections? 11 years 7 months ago #5220

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
I was wondering whether we need a new section on uniforms to help people (me included!) to identify Boer War uniforms? Would that be useful?

Could we have a separate section for badges and insignia? I was wanting to upload badges of the Imperial units to help with the identification of old family photos. These might be better as a normal page rather than a section of the forum so that all the badges could be seen on one screen and at the same time?

What do you think?

Are there any other new sections or subdivisions needed?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: New forum sections? 11 years 7 months ago #5228

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
David

I think new sections covering topics such badges and uniforms would be great additions to the forum. Mike and Frank have already posted pics of some rare and unusual Colonial badges under various headings and collecting them into a 'badge' section would make them a lot easier to find.

I had thought that an alternative would be to have threads dedicated to regiments so, for example, under Imperial Light Horse there could be posting of medals, badges, uniforms, biographies and anything else relevant to that regiment.

Whatever you decide will be good for this forum.

Regards
Brett

Re: New forum sections? 11 years 7 months ago #5233

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thank you for those thoughts Brett. I could see the benefits both ways. The current method has been to arrange by item rather than unit and thus we have medals, research etc which may refer to the ILH. This is logical but means there is no one place to go for all the threads on, it his example, one of our favourites units.

I think I would prefer the uniforms and badges route. I can move the post around the site from section to section to populate the sections initially.

With thanks again
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: New forum sections? 11 years 7 months ago #5237

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello David,
New sections do seem like a good idea, badges and insignia would be a good section.
The generalised "Miscellany" section seems to be the place to post threads that do not fall under a particular section, maybe this could be expanded with sub-sections?
I always struggle to find the correct section to post my postcards, maybe a section called emphemera (hope thats the correct word)
I think we all congratulate you with any updates to a great site.

Paul :)

djb wrote: I was wondering whether we need a new section on uniforms to help people (me included!) to identify Boer War uniforms? Would that be useful?

Could we have a separate section for badges and insignia? I was wanting to upload badges of the Imperial units to help with the identification of old family photos. These might be better as a normal page rather than a section of the forum so that all the badges could be seen on one screen and at the same time?

What do you think?

Are there any other new sections or subdivisions needed?

Best wishes
David

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: New forum sections? 11 years 7 months ago #5256

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Paul,

Ephemera would be a good section name and also one perhaps for commemorative medals like the ones Antony is posting?
Dr David Biggins

Re: New forum sections? 11 years 7 months ago #5266

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

djb wrote: Paul,

Ephemera would be a good section name and also one perhaps for commemorative medals like the ones Antony is posting?

That would be perfect.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds