Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Deep Pockets..... Nominated for VC got DCM 9 years 8 months ago #21954

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
That sounds quite nice, it's always good to come across an old frame that has been with a family for a couple of generations.
Regards again Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Deep Pockets..... Nominated for VC got DCM 9 years 8 months ago #21961

• Frank Kelley
I don't think that is so expensive really, after all, what is expensive these days, it's getting much harder to define, moreover, how much is the alternative, all but unobtainable for most people.
Some years ago now, I had the option to buy two CGM flying, but, could only afford one.
The other that I did not buy, turned out to be a downgrade from the Victoria Cross, needless to say, I wish I could go back in time.
I should have spent a little bit longer at the then public record office on the day in question, all my own fault! :(

Doug wrote: Mike

Ian has had that group for some time. It was rumoured to be in excess of £20k at one time, just a rumour and obviously well overpriced. Interesting to see the current valuation.

Just had the current retail as £18k.

Doug.

Deep Pockets..... Nominated for VC got DCM 9 years 8 months ago #21962

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
Mike

I know what you are saying, but the last similar group to the Devons, with much more attached in the sense of photo album and original service book etc, was just under £5k. This group shouldn't have the wW1 entitlement either, apparently it was self issued. Having said all that, there does seem to be a huge gap between the VC and the DCM, so perhaps we are lucky in a way.

Spot on with the research. I think this is still an area that we can still get that great feeling of getting a bargain. Most dealers will have a cursory look or search through the casualty records but many don't go into the detail of the actions and associate the medal with other awards, so still many good stories out there to be had.

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

Deep Pockets..... Nominated for VC got DCM 9 years 8 months ago #21963

• Frank Kelley
LOL Doug, I'm not Mike!
Okay, well I have not looked at this group, but, as I said to Mike, medals need to be perfect, all the more so when you move into the top end of the marketplace, otherwise, why bother.
So I suppose I would not buy this particular group, the medals he was not entitled to would annoy me, notwithstanding, still good from the unobtainable Victoria Cross angle.

Agreed, more research, less coffee, would have saved day, for me, at least all those years ago! :(
Regards Frank

Doug wrote: Mike

I know what you are saying, but the last similar group to the Devons, with much more attached in the sense of photo album and original service book etc, was just under £5k. This group shouldn't have the wW1 entitlement either, apparently it was self issued. Having said all that, there does seem to be a huge gap between the VC and the DCM, so perhaps we are lucky in a way.

Spot on with the research. I think this is still an area that we can still get that great feeling of getting a bargain. Most dealers will have a cursory look or search through the casualty records but many don't go into the detail of the actions and associate the medal with other awards, so still many good stories out there to be had.

Doug.

Deep Pockets..... Nominated for VC got DCM 9 years 8 months ago #21967

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
Frank

Ooooppps! I knew that really, just seeing if you read it ;)

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

Deep Pockets..... Nominated for VC got DCM 9 years 8 months ago #21969

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1879

Doug wrote: Frank

Ooooppps! I knew that really, just seeing if you read it ;)

Doug.

Mike is better looking......
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.905 seconds