Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DALBY, J., 2753 CORPORAL, 14th Hussars - Help Required 9 years 5 months ago #22927

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Evening Everyone......

I am requesting some help on the medal listed below.....

I have gone through all the J. Dalby's in FMP and cannot find him in the Asplin roll of Cavalry, I have copies of the medal roll and he is there.....

The remarks on WO 100/117 Page 13 read - "2753 in 7th Hrs. Local No. 67 & To Home (cannot make out word) 19.5.01..... Where the regimental number is there is 5167 but the 51 has been crossed out.....

And

On W0 100/117 he has South Africa 1901 and in remarks - "2753 10th Hrs."

That makes at least 3 different units..... That is why I am confused......

Any help greatly appreciated.....

Mike

2753 CORPORAL J. DALBY, 14TH HUSSARS. Queen's South Africa Medal, 4 clasps, Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Dreifontein, South Africa 1901 (officially engraved, 2753 Corporal, 14th Hussars). Attractively toned, ghost dates visible on reverse, Extremely Fine and virtually as struck.

I have photocopied extracts from Medal Roll, confirming medal and clasps (not entitled KSA).

Scarce combination of clasps. Only B Squadron of the regiment taking part in the Relief of Kimberley, Battle of Paardeberg and the action at Dreifontein. This squadron was also the sole squadron of the regiment at the capitulation of the capital of the Orange Free State, Bloemfontein, 13th March 1900. It was also the only squadron present at the funeral of the regiment's Colonel, The Honourable G.H. Gough, C.B., in Bloemfontein, on 13th March 1900.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DALBY, J., 2753 CORPORAL, 14th Hussars - Help Required 9 years 5 months ago #22930

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
James Dalby, an 18 year old green grocer from Canterbury joined the 10th Hussars on the 23rd of September 1889, he was serving in the Militia, the 4th Royal Sussex Regiment.
He was appointed Lance Corporal on the 21st of September 1891 and promoted to Corporal on the 17th of August 1893, transferring to the Army Reserve on the 6th of January 1896.
Recalled to the Army, he was posted to the 14th Hussars on the 19th of October 1899 with the rank of Corporal.
He served in South Africa from the 22nd of December 1899 to the 26th of June 1900 and again, from the 3rd March 1901 to he 21st of June 1901.
He was discharged at the Curragh on the 30th April 1902.

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Evening Everyone......

I am requesting some help on the medal listed below.....

I have gone through all the J. Dalby's in FMP and cannot find him in the Asplin roll of Cavalry, I have copies of the medal roll and he is there.....

The remarks on WO 100/117 Page 13 read - "2753 in 7th Hrs. Local No. 67 & To Home (cannot make out word) 19.5.01..... Where the regimental number is there is 5167 but the 51 has been crossed out.....

And

On W0 100/117 he has South Africa 1901 and in remarks - "2753 10th Hrs."

That makes at least 3 different units..... That is why I am confused......

Any help greatly appreciated.....

Mike

2753 CORPORAL J. DALBY, 14TH HUSSARS. Queen's South Africa Medal, 4 clasps, Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Dreifontein, South Africa 1901 (officially engraved, 2753 Corporal, 14th Hussars). Attractively toned, ghost dates visible on reverse, Extremely Fine and virtually as struck.

I have photocopied extracts from Medal Roll, confirming medal and clasps (not entitled KSA).

Scarce combination of clasps. Only B Squadron of the regiment taking part in the Relief of Kimberley, Battle of Paardeberg and the action at Dreifontein. This squadron was also the sole squadron of the regiment at the capitulation of the capital of the Orange Free State, Bloemfontein, 13th March 1900. It was also the only squadron present at the funeral of the regiment's Colonel, The Honourable G.H. Gough, C.B., in Bloemfontein, on 13th March 1900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

DALBY, J., 2753 CORPORAL, 14th Hussars - Help Required 9 years 5 months ago #22937

• QSAMIKE
Good Morning Frank......

Thanks for the info explains a lot.....

Wonder why he is not on Asplins list.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

DALBY, J., 2753 CORPORAL, 14th Hussars - Help Required 9 years 5 months ago #22940

• QSAMIKE
Here are some pictures I took this morning......

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

DALBY, J., 2753 CORPORAL, 14th Hussars - Help Required 9 years 5 months ago #22945

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
His papers have survived, but, only show entitlement to his actual medal and do not give clasp entitlement, I have not bothered looking at the rolls, I assume you have.
Regards Frank

DALBY, J., 2753 CORPORAL, 14th Hussars - Help Required 9 years 5 months ago #22956

• QSAMIKE
Good Morning Frank.....

Thanks I do have a copy of the medal roll.....

Just could not figure out the different units.....

All explained now.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.077 seconds