Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

QSA to Van Zuilecom - Colonial Scouts/Thorneycroft's M.I & I.L.H. 9 years 4 months ago #23806

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2121
I have acquired a QSA to 808 Corpl. H.C. Van Zuilesom (Zuilecom) of the Imperial Light Horse with clasps Cape Colony, Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith and Transvaal.

This chap had prior service with both the Colonial Scouts (from 8/12/1899 to 2/1/1900) as well as Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry (from 2/1/1900 - 6/3/1900) before moving on to the ILH for the remainder of his service.

What I need help with is determining whether or not, given the dates and the clasps above, he was at Spioenkop or not. Opinions on this would be appreciated.

What attracted me to the medal is the fact that I have the medal to Frank Davenport of the Ladysmith Town Guard who was married to Hugh Champneys Van Zuilecom' s sister.

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA to Van Zuilecom - Colonial Scouts/Thorneycroft's M.I & I.L.H. 9 years 4 months ago #23807

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Rory
On the Kop? Possibly! TMI service with E Coy for clasps TH and RofL. He is not mentioned in the casualty list (you would have checked that) and the Droogleever book does not include him in the listing of those TMIs known to have been on the Kop. Unfortunately we cannot ascribe service on Spion Kop by a soldier's being in a certain TMI Company. His papers show prev. service with Norwegian Rifles.
A nice QSA with a good spread of service.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

QSA to Van Zuilecom - Colonial Scouts/Thorneycroft's M.I & I.L.H. 9 years 4 months ago #23809

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2121
Pardon my ignorance IL but waht papers would you be referring to?

Regards

Rory

QSA to Van Zuilecom - Colonial Scouts/Thorneycroft's M.I & I.L.H. 9 years 4 months ago #23810

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Rank and file SAMIF papers for the Colonial Scouts are in WO126/30, Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry WO126/142-144 and the Imperial Light Horse WO126/55-65 at Kew.

Rory wrote: Pardon my ignorance IL but waht papers would you be referring to?

Regards

Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds