Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

8692 Pte.Robert Allan Lovat's Scouts Sev Wnd Nr.Bethlehem 9 years 3 weeks ago #25808

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It was certainly allowed!

coldstream wrote: Frank,

One Officer without facial hair, very poor :lol:

Paul :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8692 Pte.Robert Allan Lovat's Scouts Sev Wnd Nr.Bethlehem 9 years 3 weeks ago #25820

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank,

Although I do not have any facial hair at the moment I do admire the Victorians superb moustaches ;)

Frank Kelley wrote: It was certainly allowed!

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

8692 Pte.Robert Allan Lovat's Scouts Sev Wnd Nr.Bethlehem 9 years 2 weeks ago #25874

• Frank Kelley
Hello Paul,
This has always been a matter of interest to me over the years and there are very many issues that are rather contradictory in both queens and kings regulations throughout both the nineteenth and the first portion of the twentieth centuries when it came to hair, both on the head and face.
I think that it all depended entirely on how a particular Colonel interpreted the existing regulations at any given particular point in time.
For example, if, lets say, you went back even further into the middle of the eighteenth century, hair on the head, worn by the rank and file, had to be cut rather short, but, with those large tufts over the ears, whilst, at the same time, being clean shaven.
Over the years you had Flank Companies, Grenadier Companies, Centre Companies and Light Companies of particular regiments, all wearing the hair differently from the rest of a regiment to actually distinguish themselves from the rest of the men and so on.
From memory, by the time you reach the middle of the nineteenth century, the moustache and whiskers are allowed, before being subsequently encouraged amongst the rank and file.
In fact, the Pioneers of many regiments were actually ordered to wear a beard around this time too.
However, where it gets interesting and contradictory was in the late 1860's queens regulations ordered moustaches to be worn and the chin clean shaven.
I think that it was only in about 1916 that the upper lip was actually permitted to be shaved, so really very late in the day, from an official point of view, but always open to interpretation anyway.
Kind regards Frank

Although I do not have any facial hair at the moment I do admire the Victorians superb moustaches ;)

8692 Pte.Robert Allan Lovat's Scouts Sev Wnd Nr.Bethlehem 9 years 2 weeks ago #25886

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank,

Some interesting facts indeed, I particularity liked this one " However, where it gets interesting and contradictory was in the late 1860's queens regulations ordered moustaches to be worn and the chin clean shaven."
This is one of my favourite photos from my collection, splendid facial hair!

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
This has always been a matter of interest to me over the years and there are very many issues that are rather contradictory in both queens and kings regulations throughout both the nineteenth and the first portion of the twentieth centuries when it came to hair, both on the head and face.
I think that it all depended entirely on how a particular Colonel interpreted the existing regulations at any given particular point in time.
For example, if, lets say, you went back even further into the middle of the eighteenth century, hair on the head, worn by the rank and file, had to be cut rather short, but, with those large tufts over the ears, whilst, at the same time, being clean shaven.
Over the years you had Flank Companies, Grenadier Companies, Centre Companies and Light Companies of particular regiments, all wearing the hair differently from the rest of a regiment to actually distinguish themselves from the rest of the men and so on.
From memory, by the time you reach the middle of the nineteenth century, the moustache and whiskers are allowed, before being subsequently encouraged amongst the rank and file.
In fact, the Pioneers of many regiments were actually ordered to wear a beard around this time too.
However, where it gets interesting and contradictory was in the late 1860's queens regulations ordered moustaches to be worn and the chin clean shaven.
I think that it was only in about 1916 that the upper lip was actually permitted to be shaved, so really very late in the day, from an official point of view, but always open to interpretation anyway.
Kind regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

8692 Pte.Robert Allan Lovat's Scouts Sev Wnd Nr.Bethlehem 9 years 2 weeks ago #25888

• Frank Kelley
Agreed, just look at K of K! :woohoo:

8692 Pte.Robert Allan Lovat's Scouts Sev Wnd Nr.Bethlehem 9 years 2 weeks ago #25891

• Frank Kelley
Little bit of wax in use there Paul! :ohmy:

Some interesting facts indeed, I particularity liked this one " However, where it gets interesting and contradictory was in the late 1860's queens regulations ordered moustaches to be worn and the chin clean shaven."
This is one of my favourite photos from my collection, splendid facial hair!

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
Kind regards Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.503 seconds