Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I have always considered desertion unmanly... 8 years 11 months ago #41025

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
Wilson deserted from the army "enticed away" by a Boer woman. Initially his medal was forfeited but he ended up wearing it in the end.

Alexander George Wilson

Sapper, 17th Field Company, Royal Engineers – Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 & 1902 to 6365 Spr. A.G. Wilson, 17/FD. Coy. R.E.

Alex Wilson started out life in the ordinary way but things were to change as his life evolved. Born in Hackney, London in 1881 he was the son of Edward Wilson, a Letter Sorter with the General Post Office and his Scottish born wife Georgina. The family, according to the 1891 England census was a large one with 10 year old Alex joined in the house by older sibling Elizabeth (11) and a flock of younger siblings Donald (8), Charles (7), Harriet (5), Georgina (4), William (2) and Isabella (2 months) Edward Wilson’s brother, George, an Attendant at the Royal Courts of Justice was also living with the family at 42 Abbey Street, Bethnal Green. He was to play a role in young Alex’s life at a later stage.

On 12 June 1900, with the Boer War underway for all of nine months, a 19 year and 9 month old Alex enlisted with the Militia joining “B” Company of the 44th District of the Royal Engineers with no. 6521 and the rank of Private. At the time he was described as being 5 feet 6 ½ inches in height with a fresh complexion, blue eyes and brown hair. In total he was to perform 46 days of Drill in the Militia.

His career with the Militia was short-lived and, on 28 July 1900 he entered the Recruiting Office of the Royal Engineers and signed up for 12 years with the Colours – 7 years service and 5 years on the Reserve. Now 18 years and 10 months old (note the discrepancy in the ages provided) he confirmed Militia service with the 3rd Essex Regiment and that he was single and a Bricklayer by occupation.

His next of kin was his father, Edward who now resided at 8 Ashgrove, Green Lane, Ilford. Having been found Fit for the Army at Warley by the R.A.M.C. Doctor he was assigned no. 6365 and the rank of Sapper. As already mentioned the war was well under way in South Africa but Wilson was to spend another seven months at home part of which was spent completing a Certificate of Trade Proficiency at the R.E. Workshops at Chatham wherein he was rated as “Fair” as a Bricklayer; before leaving for the theatre of war. Whilst at Chatham he also had a bout of Tonsillitis which necessitated a 5 day stay in Hospital.

Having arrived in South Africa Wilson and his comrades set about the work of a Field Company of the Royal Engineers in support of the frontline troops. His service was not without incident and he appears to have spent quite a bit of time in the Standerton area of the Transvaal which is where his Defaulters Sheet tells us he was on 10 September 1901.

Wilson’s war was to be one of two halves – having served in South Africa from February 1901 until October 1901 he was returned to England where he spent the next six months until returning south on 8 April 1902. Whilst back at Chatham Barracks he blotted his copy book on 14 November 1901 by having a “Dirty Haversack on Guard Mounting Parade”. For this offence he was awarded an Extra Guard Duty. He followed this up being “3 minutes late for sick parade” on 22 March 1902 for which he received punishment of 2 days Confinement to Barracks.

Once back in South Africa Wilson’s company were primarily employed in the construction of Block Houses being erected to contain the Boer menace by curtailing their movements and cutting off their escape and supply routes. On 1 January 1903 he was based in Kimberley where he was classed as a Skilled Bricklayer by the C.R.E. there. He then moved on to Modder River where, on 1 May 1903, almost a year after the end of the war he was found guilty of “Failing to report himself on arrival from Boshoff in the Orange River Colony” and of being “Absent from 5 p.m. on 1 May 1903 until 12 noon on 2 May 1903” For this indiscretion he was awarded 7 days C.B.

The aforementioned offences were but the prelude to what was to be the main event. On 8 August 1903 Lt. Colonel Brotherton the C.R.E. of the Pretoria District of the Royal Engineers convened a Court of Inquiry for the purpose of investigating and recording the circumstances connected with the alleged illegal absence and deficiency in kit (if any) of No. 6365 Sapper Wilson A.G., 9th Company, R.E. Captain Tyler was the President of the Court and the following evidence was heard:

1st Witness - No. 114 2nd Corporal Hutt, having duly been sworn stated that:

“I was orderly Corporal to the 9th Coy. R.E. at Modder River on 14 June 1903. On calling the roll at 10 p.m. I found that Sapper Wilson was absent and reported this to the C.S.M. 9th Company. He is still absent. On the 15th June I took an inventory of his kit and handed it into store”

2nd Witness – No. 17829 C.S.M. Bevan, having been duly sworn stated that:

“I am Company Sergeant Major of the 9th Company R.E. on the 15th June I was informed that Sapper Wilson was absent. I took an inventory of his kit and found the following articles deficient: Badge cap, blacking tin, Bible and Prayer Book, Boot laces etc. etc.” The list went on and I shan’t bore the reader with the sundry details.

The Court then declared, having heard these two witnesses,

“No. 6365 Sapper A.G. Wilson to be illegally absent from his cups at Modder River since tattoo on 14 June 1903 – a period of 56 days. The Court further declares that he should be deemed to have deserted.” So there it was for all to see – Wilson had deserted from the army!

Now officially a Wanted Man all went quiet on the Wilson front until, out of the blue, a letter was received by the Authorities on 14 June 1910 from his Uncle, George Smith of whom mention was made previously written from 64 St. Mary’s Road in Ilford. It read as follows,

“Sir

Seeing in the “Regiment” that “His Majesty King George V has been graciously pleased to grant pardons to soldiers in a state of desertion” I beg leave to enquire if I am entitled to appeal on behalf of a relative now in South Africa. The soldier in question is my nephew, Alexander George Wilson, who deserted from the building Company of the Royal Engineers in South Africa.

He originally joined the Militia Battalion of the Essex Regiment, but acting on my advice applied for and obtained a transfer as a bricklayer to the R.E. Very soon after he was ordered to South Africa and whilst building block houses at Standerton (I think) was attacked with Enteric and removed to Bloemfontein, where after being on the danger list for some time, was finally invalided home.

After a long furlough he became medically fit and was again sent to South Africa, but deserted soon after Peace was proclaimed. He has consequently been absent from his regiment about 8 years. His father having since died, I have constantly advised him to surrender, as I have always considered desertion unmanly, and in this particular case look upon it as a slur upon our name.

Unfortunately after being enticed from his regiment, he married a Boer lady and now has two children. Being desirous of coming home, at some future time, to see his widowed mother, he has written asking if I will enquire on his behalf. It would afford his mother and myself the pleasure of being in a position to send him the “Protection Certificate”

Trusting for an early and favourable reply, I am Sir, your obedient servant,

George Wilson”

The R.E. Records Office at Chatham wrote back to George Wilson acknowledging his request for a Protection Certificate but stating that “the man referred to must himself make application to me within a space of 2 months if at home or 4 months from 23 May 1910. He must state his Regimental Number, Rank and name and Place from which he deserted.”

This message must have been conveyed to Wilson in far away South Africa for his reply wasn’t long in coming. On 11 July 190 he wrote as “A.G. Wilson, Driller, Strengthening of Bridge, Vaal River Bridge, 14 Streams Station, Cape Colony,

I respectfully beg to avail myself of the opportunity given to Deserters. Whom having been in a state of desertion over 5 years, I Sapper A.G. Wilson 6365 9th Company R.E. wish to report myself and obtain the Free Pardon granted by our Gracious Majesty King George. I had good character when I left and also 2 school certificates 2nd and 3rd. I am a Total Abstainer belonging to the I.O.G.T. and I am married with two children. I have good character from the C.G. Railway (Cape Government Railway) where I am working at present. I left the service when stationed at Modder River in about July 1903 and I would be extremely thankful if I could get a protection certificate as I do not think on account of my teeth being all bad and I have enlarged groin through heavy lifting, I would be medically fit for further service . Awaiting in anticipation for a favourable reply.

I am Dear Sir...”

Wilson didn’t have long to wait. On 8 August a reply was sent stating that a “Protection Certificate which exempts you from further service” will be sent, “please acknowledge receipt.”

Wilson responded with alacrity on 6 September 1910 and Uncle George, no doubt observing the protocols, wrote again to the R.E. Authorities on 4 October stating,

“On June 11 I made enquiries concerning a Protection Certificate for a relative now living in South Africa. He has informed me that he has received his Certificate. I therefore take the opportunity of thanking you for the courtesy of your reply of the 16th June and the instructions contained therein. I also wish to convey to you, as the King’s representative, the sincere thanks of the relative in question and his relations for the favour bestowed by His Majesty.”

Whether or not Wilson ever returned to England to see his widowed mother is not known. A painstaking search of the shipping manifests of the period indicates that he did not. What is known is that she died a few years after the 1911 census.

What of his medal? Well having forfeited the medal by dint of his desertion it was returned to the Mint on 8 May 1914 to be broken up in terms of the King’s regulations. Authority for it to be restored was granted on 24 December 1919 which is why the naming on the rim is in the style and form of those issued for World War I. At last after almost 20 years Wilson was allowed to wear his medal with pride and could sleep easy without having to look over his shoulder.

He passed away in the Transvaal in 1961 at the age of 80 and was survived by his “Boer lady” – Gertruda Wilhelmina Wilson (born Olwage)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, pjac49, Barnesyard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I have always considered desertion unmanly... 8 years 11 months ago #41033

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
Rory,

Another great biography . Thanks.

Can you , or anybody else, enlighten me as to the the rationale for the King pardoning deserters after the war?

Was this a one off, or had it been done before, and indeed was it done after later wars?

Patrick

I have always considered desertion unmanly... 7 years 11 months ago #46549

• Barnesyard
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
DEPOT TAB
SOURCE MHG
TYPE LEER
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 2427/61
PART 1
DESCRIPTION WILSON, ALEXANDER GEORGE.
STARTING 19610000
ENDING 19610000
REMARKS SURVIVING SPOUSE GERTRUDA WILHELMINA WILSON (BORN OLWAGE).

I have always considered desertion unmanly... 7 years 11 months ago #46647

• Barnesyard
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have shared this story and linked it to eGGSA FB - scheduled for 15th May.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.653 seconds