Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Calverley of the Natal Royal Rifles 8 years 6 months ago #42829

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2121
Single clasp medals are apparently scarce so I was pleased to acquire this one.

Ernest Wheeler Calverley

Private, Natal Royal Rifles, Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasp Natal to 83 Pte. E. Calverley, Natal R.R.

Ernest Calverley came of 1820 Settler stock with his family having spent many years in the Eastern Cape/Transkei area trying to eke out a living amidst marauding tribesmen and the harsh elements.

Born in about 1874 he was the son of William Ingram (Thomas) Calverley and one Caroline Benetta Calverley (born Barr) who passed away in Pietermaritzburg on 27 January 1903 at the age of 59 whilst incarcerated at the Central Gaol having been committed there to serve her sentence for crimes unknown. At the time she was operating under the alias “Jane Ash”and had been married twice, firstly to William Ingram ( Thomas ) Calverley of the Cape Colony, who died about 1876, leaving three children. Her second husband, Robert Fisher, was believed to have gone to Rhodesia, and there were no children by him.

She would appear to have been abandoned to her fate as, only after the authorities tried to track down any living relatives to take the body did Ernest, the subject of this story, come to light to sign off on her Death Notice.

Ernest’s own childhood is obscure in that not much is known about him. He seems to have surfaced for the first time in 1896 when, at the age of 22, he married Winifred Margaret McKeown at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Pietermaritzburg on 22 July. According to the marriage certificate he was a Painter by trade and she a 20 year old spinster.

A short three years later Natal and, indeed, the might of the British Empire was in turmoil thanks to two almost insignificant Boer Republics in South Africa. On 30 September the Natal Royal Rifles were called out, never more than 150 strong they were based at Estcourt in October 1899 commanded by Captain A Williamson.

Receiving orders to proceed on active service they were the first volunteer corps actually in the field. Having arrived in Estcourt they were joined by a detachment of the Natal Naval Volunteers and Imperial Light Horse. For a long tome the N.R.R. were busy making entrenchments before taking part in the battle of Willow Grange on 23 November 1899, having left Estcourt with other corps, both Imperial and Colonial, the preceding afternoon, and bivouacking for the night on a stony koppie in the midst of a drenching storm.

On the Saturday prior to the fight the corps was called out to assist in repelling some of the enemy who were reported to be trying to cut the railway line between Estcourt and Ennersdale, but on the first shot being firred the Boers fled. On 26 November the N.R.R. and all other troops marched to Frere, all under the command of General Hildyard. On the following day it took part in a successful reconnaissance towards Chieveley.

On 5 December the infantry volunteers received orders to take post on the lines of communication. The N.R.R. were sent to Elands Kop, about 2 11/2 miles from Rosetta. Remaining there for 10 days, the corps was ordered back to Estcourt.

Calverley would have been one of these as he has only the clasp “Natal” to his Queens Medal. After serving until the end of 1900 he took his discharge from the regiment and returned to his civilian pursuits.

Both the 1902 and 1907 Natal Directories have him living at 172 Greyling Street, Pietermaritzburg but by 1919 he had moved to 201 Berg Street, all the while earning a living as a Painter.

Calverley was a keen Free Mason and the only surviving photo of him was taken in the late 1910's when he was in full regalia along with members of his Lodge. After suffering with Influenza which turned into Pneumonia after 8 days, he passed away at the age of 42 in Pietermaritzburg on 16 October 1918.

Calverley’s medal appeared for sale on the Spink Boer War Centenary auction.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Calverley of the Natal Royal Rifles 8 years 6 months ago #42830

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That is certainly not a common medal with that particular clasp, I wonder how he came to have that?

Calverley of the Natal Royal Rifles 8 years 6 months ago #42841

• Rory
I'm not sure Frank

I note from the medal roll that there were quite a number of N.R.R. chaps who qualified for that clasp alone.

Regards

Rory

Calverley of the Natal Royal Rifles 8 years 6 months ago #42842

• Frank Kelley
I think, from memory, only about a dozen or so, it is actually a rare medal. :)

Calverley of the Natal Royal Rifles 8 years 6 months ago #42843

• Rory
Good to know. What really got me going was that it was in the Spink Centenary Auction.

I found that out completely by chance.

Regards

Rory

Calverley of the Natal Royal Rifles 8 years 6 months ago #42845

• Frank Kelley
Rory,
Trust me, it's a good medal, yes, always nice to have something from that sale, it was a most memorable two days in the saleroom for me, which I enjoyed a great deal.
Just to clarify matters in your original post, almost all members of this particular regiment had been present at Willow Grange which I dare say most have been a bit of an unpleasant surprise for them, before, I should imagine, going hell for leather back to Escourt.
After some roving Boer Commandoes had looted the store at Rorke's Drift, the regiment joined the Melmoth Field Force and operated out of Eshowe with the period between January and May 1900 being their most intense, they certainly did not "relieve" Ladysmith and in effect, got their Relief of Ladysmith clasps by default along with the Colonial Scouts they worked with during their skirmishes with the enemy in Zululand, but, they did achieve their objective of removing those wretched Boers, who had caused so much trouble with the local inhabitants.
It does seem ironic that just six years later, sadly, they would be engaged with the Natives who they had worked with during the Anglo Boer War and to who the regiment owed a great deal, but, I suppose that was the tragedy of the whole country during the last century.
A very good medal and certainly not one you will see again in a hurry.
Kind regards Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.795 seconds