Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45222

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2141
My observation - certainly of the last century or so - is that Buglers/Trumpeters were used for mostly ceremonial occasions and not to rally the troops or a call to arms as would have been the case previously (and is still the case if you're a Hollywood fan)

Back at the base camp or depot they would come in handy, as has been postulated, for reveille etc.but not on the field of battle as a rallying cry - they would have stuck out like a sore thumb and would have been a target for Boer snipers let alone alerting all and sundry to the whereabouts of their comrades

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45224

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
My 1908 copy of Field Service Regulations notes the specific use of the bugle and Trumpet, moreover, Operations Part 1 declares "Decisive success in battle can only be gained by vigorous offensive, during the attack the men will cheer and bugles will be sounded"
Certainly the case at Talana and Elandslaagte, but, the reality was that both were used well into the last century, throughout the Great War and into the Second World War, during this latter, in particular, in North Africa, by some Cavalry formations who had only recently lost their horse's and of course, by the Royal Navy at sea.

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45225

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
I have looked at two instances where Buglers made names for themselves early in the War - Trumpeter Shurlock, 5th Lancers, at Elandslaagte, and Bugler Dunne, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, at Colenso. Shurlock's use of his revolver during the cavalry charge is the action by which he is remembered, but I found no mention of him making bugle calls. In the case of Dunne, he lost his bugle during the disastrous action in the Loop, and had it replaced by Queen Victoria herself. In the Colenso instance it seems most unlikely that any bugle calls were made, because the order by Buller to retire had to be delivered verbally. This resulted in delays and confusion and contributed many more casualties to the Irish regiments. A bugle call or two would have extricated the men far more quickly.

I wonder if anyone has more information on whether or not these two boys did in any bugling on those occasions?

Brett

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45226

• Brett Hendey
My apologies for missing Frank's post and not referring to it. My mind was elsewhere, as it often is these days.

Brett

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45228

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Morning Brett,
The use of the trumpet by the British Armies cavalry was perfectly normal throughout the Anglo Boer War, you certainly would be unable to command and control a squadron without it.

What's all this nonsense about JZ's "security upgrades" these include a helipad, but a swimming pool and a football pitch, really? :ohmy:
Regards Frank

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45230

• Brett Hendey
Frank
The 'goings-on' in this country are often beyond comprehension. They cannot be explained to foreigners.
Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.980 seconds